Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL Prices

I was in Waitrose yesterday (not a shop typically associated with bargains)
and purchased 2 x 18 Watt Philips CFL's for £1.49 each.

Alongside them on the shelf were physically identical 20W Philips CFL's for
£8.99. £7.50 extra for 2 Watts.

Am I missing something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Vortex3" writes:
I was in Waitrose yesterday (not a shop typically associated with bargains)
and purchased 2 x 18 Watt Philips CFL's for £1.49 each.

Alongside them on the shelf were physically identical 20W Philips CFL's for
£8.99. £7.50 extra for 2 Watts.

Am I missing something?

Yes, I'm always surprised by the very high price of CFL's in Waitrose.
I don't think it's a store used much by bargain hunters though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-04, Vortex3 wrote:
I was in Waitrose yesterday (not a shop typically associated with
bargains)
and purchased 2 x 18 Watt Philips CFL's for £1.49 each.

Alongside them on the shelf were physically identical 20W Philips CFL's
for
£8.99. £7.50 extra for 2 Watts.

Am I missing something?

It's not unique, though, I've seen the same in the Waitrose at Canary
Wharf.

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

It's the same on ocado.com as well. The price difference seems so absurd I
wonder if they sell and 20W lamps at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex3 wrote:

I was in Waitrose yesterday (not a shop typically associated with bargains)
and purchased 2 x 18 Watt Philips CFL's for �1.49 each.

Alongside them on the shelf were physically identical 20W Philips CFL's for
�8.99. �7.50 extra for 2 Watts.

Am I missing something?

Yes - you bought Philips. Have not found them good.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex3" wrote in message
I was in Waitrose yesterday (not a shop typically associated with bargains)
and purchased 2 x 18 Watt Philips CFL's for £1.49 each.

Alongside them on the shelf were physically identical 20W Philips CFL's
for £8.99. £7.50 extra for 2 Watts.

Am I missing something?

Keep your eyes open for bargains:

Recently found myself in a coin in the meter cottage in Cornwall, where
nearly everything in the place was electric, and all the lights tungsten!

Thought I was doing well when I found Morisons in Bodmin had '2 for 99p'
deals on a number of CFLs; then discovered Tesco in Wadebridge selling all
sorts - even dusk to dawns - for a penny each (YES!). They would only allow
4 per customer, but over the next few days I made a habit of going past that
way and replaced all the tungstens in the cottage, and have quite a few left
over for me (though since I replaced our outside photoswitch with a street
light type one, to run a string of 4 CFLs, we haven't had to replace any of
these, whereas, they were frequently failing with the small block type
photoswitches.).

So, take your time; keep your eyes open, and save some cash.
______________________

Now, can anyone tell ME why rechargeable batteries are so expensive? I'd
have thought that packing chemicals into a particular sized shell, would be
pretty much the same cost for rechargeable or otherwise. Yet the 'C' sized
cells I currently need all cost an arm and a leg, and are almost vanished
from the shops too! On the web there are stories of many offered for sale
there being fakes...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "spamlet"
saying something like:

Now, can anyone tell ME why rechargeable batteries are so expensive? I'd
have thought that packing chemicals into a particular sized shell, would be
pretty much the same cost for rechargeable or otherwise. Yet the 'C' sized
cells I currently need all cost an arm and a leg, and are almost vanished
from the shops too! On the web there are stories of many offered for sale
there being fakes...

www.7dayshop.com is the place. You can also use AA cells in a C shell,
also available there.
If you hold the C shell to your ear, you'll hear the sound of the UK
retailers crying into their beer.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

OT GAS PRICES YOU CAN HELP martin Woodturning 2 April 15th 06 09:04 AM
gas prices 7/12/05 Caesar Romano Home Repair 5 July 12th 05 01:07 AM
OT Gas prices Muff Home Repair 18 May 1st 05 09:01 PM
Prices of CD`s Ken G. Electronics Repair 5 January 20th 04 09:04 PM
Prices Bill UK diy 4 January 4th 04 11:52 PM