Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot Cooker Wire

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is normal for a cooker cord and
plug to get hot during use. THe cooker is pulling 2450watts and has a
factory fitted 13A plug. The socket in the wall is brand new and
fitted by a professional electrician.

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the
touch.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this a
job for an appliance engineer?

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:46:06 -0700, pdrrose wrote:

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the
touch.

Getting hot is to be expected when the appliance is at full load. I'd
be worried if it was too hot to hold (approx 80 C) and I'd check that the
plug & socket aren't getting too hot.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this a
job for an appliance engineer?

If it were to be done it'd be a job for someone who calls it a cable or
flex rather than a wire ;-)

--
John Stumbles

Xenophobia? Sounds a bit foreign to me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:46:06 -0700, pdrrose wrote:

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the
touch.

Getting hot is to be expected when the appliance is at full load. I'd
be worried if it was too hot to hold (approx 80 C) and I'd check that
the plug & socket aren't getting too hot.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this
a job for an appliance engineer?

If it were to be done it'd be a job for someone who calls it a cable
or flex rather than a wire ;-)

I'm sure that this is a second posting. It was either replied to here or on
alt.home.repair quite satisfactorily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:04:52 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:46:06 -0700, pdrrose wrote:

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the
touch.

Getting hot is to be expected when the appliance is at full load. I'd
be worried if it was too hot to hold (approx 80 C) and I'd check that the
plug & socket aren't getting too hot.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this a
job for an appliance engineer?

If it were to be done it'd be a job for someone who calls it a cable or
flex rather than a wire ;-)

Leftpondians call it wire (it always makes me cringe!).

;-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:46:06 -0700, pdrrose wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is normal for a cooker cord and
plug to get hot during use. THe cooker is pulling 2450watts and has a
factory fitted 13A plug. The socket in the wall is brand new and
fitted by a professional electrician.

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the
touch.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this a
job for an appliance engineer?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

==================================
Have you checked the cooker documentation to see if there's a limit on how
many rings / oven can be used simultaneously? As far as I can remember,
some small, older plug-in cookers (e.g. 'Baby Belling') had such a limit,
but I would expect that more modern cookers would have some kind of
automatic switching built in to control the limits. It's still worth a
quick check.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is normal for a cooker cord and
plug to get hot during use. THe cooker is pulling 2450watts and has a
factory fitted 13A plug. The socket in the wall is brand new and
fitted by a professional electrician.

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the
touch.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this a
job for an appliance engineer?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

IME some 13A plugs & sockets get hot at 13A/15A, some don't.
The question is how hot. If it doesn't hurt when unplugged and the
pins are held for 20 or 30 seconds, then its below 60C, and
acceptable.

I'd also check the ratings plate, as someone else said some
cooking equipment can eat well over 13A at full load. Those should
not be on a 13A plug.

NT