Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bookcases

A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok
for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers you can think of?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok
for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers you can think of?

--
Cheers,

John.

That german or is it a scandinavian firm? does em,they make furniture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Blott" wrote in message
. uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok

for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other

suppliers
you can think of?

IKEA

Thats the one. :-)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10382/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok
for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers you can think of?

--
Cheers,

John.

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok
for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Yes I bought one from Argos about 4 or 5' high about a year ago

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other suppliers
you can think of?

--
Cheers,

John.

Google says

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...e-bookcase.asp

or

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...oak-effect.asp

or

http://www.furnitureatwork.co.uk/Web...FRkR1AodDTSMGg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Blott" wrote in message
. uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok

for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other

suppliers
you can think of?

IKEA

Thats the one. :-)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10382/

I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm to go wandering round one
of those! ;-) Perhaps it is not as bad as I am expecting!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Ah, yup, had not thought of them - they do have some that might do. Ta.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other suppliers
you can think of?

2 minutes with google:
http://tinyurl.com/54b4j5

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
George wrote:
"Blott" wrote in message
. uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok

for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other

suppliers
you can think of?
IKEA

Thats the one. :-)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10382/

I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm to go wandering round one
of those! ;-) Perhaps it is not as bad as I am expecting!

It is.

Trust me...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article De-dnRYjBqjfe4jVnZ2dnUVZ8gydnZ2d@plusnet, John Rumm
writes
George wrote:
"Blott" wrote in message
. uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok

for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other

suppliers
you can think of?
IKEA

Thats the one. :-)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10382/

I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm to go wandering round one
of those! ;-) Perhaps it is not as bad as I am expecting!

Stride with purpose and visit when the masses are otherwise occupied,
Ikea Billy is _the_ workhorse office bookcase, haven't managed to break
one yet.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain,
ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to
do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any
other suppliers you can think of?

Staples Office Furniture suppliers John at www.staples.co.uk - they *MAY*
have what you want at a reasonable price - depending on which way the wind
is blowing and what special offers they are running. :-)

May be worth a look - it's surprising what you can pick there on occassions.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
George wrote:
"Blott" wrote in message
. uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain,
ok
for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers
you can think of?
IKEA

Thats the one. :-)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10382/

I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm to go wandering round one
of those! ;-) Perhaps it is not as bad as I am expecting!

It is.

Trust me...

David

I went to IKEA once. It was in Bratislava after I had dropped my parents off
at the airport. The tour of Auschwitz 2 days earlier was a much happier
experience.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

IKEA is extreemly well made for the price - and they do nice hot dogs in
store!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

IKEA is extreemly well made for the price - and they do nice hot dogs
in store!

Oh. And lots of attractive women to look at :-)

(last time I was there anyway).

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

IKEA is extreemly well made for the price - and they do nice hot dogs
in store!

Oh. And lots of attractive women to look at :-)

Just like Argos then... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:34:07 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

IKEA is extreemly well made for the price - and they do nice hot dogs
in store!

Oh. And lots of attractive women to look at :-)

(last time I was there anyway).

This isn't a branch in Medway, then! :-)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:16:24 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, "George"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

In so many ways!

People diss Ikea; usually those who've never bought furniture from
there. The style may be an acquired taste, but the quality can't be
faulted. I've had furniture 'n stuff from there for over fifteen
years. It's all fitted together perfectly and has lasted years,
including several house moves. Indeed, I've just disposed of a
wardrobe today (that was surplus to requirements due to me buying new
ones) that I bought in 1993 that's survived four moves and Pickford's
best efforts to destroy it.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:20:21 +0100, a particular chimpanzee, "Bob
Mannix" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok for
an office type of thing.

2 minutes with google:
http://tinyurl.com/54b4j5

But a couple of minutes thought would have got:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/13690607
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 28, 7:30*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e.

There's nothing like a sweeping generalization, when you have nothing
better to contribute, eh?

In case you haven't been to Argos recently, they do a whole range from
cheap "veneered" to very sturdy solid wood stuff.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
George wrote:
"Blott" wrote in message
. uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain,
ok
for
an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers
you can think of?
IKEA

Thats the one. :-)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/10382/

I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm to go wandering round one
of those! ;-) Perhaps it is not as bad as I am expecting!

It is.

Trust me...

David

Yes it is but most people seem to get out alive :-(

And some of their goods are very good.

Give it a try - take a friend and laugh!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok
for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Yes I bought one from Argos about 4 or 5' high about a year ago

David

Argos is even more depressing than Ikea, and there's nothing to laugh at
:-((

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?
Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e.

There's nothing like a sweeping generalization, when you have nothing
better to contribute, eh?

In case you haven't been to Argos recently, they do a whole range from
cheap "veneered" to very sturdy solid wood stuff.

MBQ

But if you go to Homebase you can actually see quite a bit of the stuff
that Argos sell - and decide on its quality before going to Ikea... :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

The Medway Handyman wrote:
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e. Don't touch it with a barge pole.

IKEA is extreemly well made for the price - and they do nice hot dogs
in store!

Oh. And lots of attractive women to look at :-)

(last time I was there anyway).

Staff or customers?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase -
nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly plain, ok
for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem seem to do them
anymore. Places like viking want silly money for them. Any other
suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Yes I bought one from Argos about 4 or 5' high about a year ago

David

Argos is even more depressing than Ikea, and there's nothing to laugh at
:-((

You're absolutely right - however Argos is located on the High Street
and if absolutely necessary I can just steel myself and pop in to buy
something if I'm in town: on the other hand the nearest Ikeas are all
located miles away next to a motorway junction, so most people (me
included) have to get in the car for a special journey and possibly
(certainly for me) a longish drive. And *then* when you get there
you've got Ikea-hell... that's what for me makes it so awful. No
complaints about the products themselves though.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Lobster wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, Argos have just moved out of town here! A new Extra! branch on
a new-ish shopping development. And I can't see the current in-town
branch remaining open. I have been wondering what their plan is with two
Homebases and now two Argos branches in one town.

Mind, Ikea is 20 miles away.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
George wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
A few years ago you could walk into any shed and buy a tall bookcase
- nothing special just veneered chipboard, big capacity, fairly
plain, ok for an office type of thing. None of the local ones seem
seem to do them anymore. Places like viking want silly money for
them. Any other suppliers you can think of?

Argos are cheaper than Ikea.

Argos flatpack is complete ****e.

There's nothing like a sweeping generalization, when you have nothing
better to contribute, eh?

In case you haven't been to Argos recently, they do a whole range from
cheap "veneered" to very sturdy solid wood stuff.

I assemble loads of flatpack, probably more in a year than most people do in
a lifetime. Without exception every piece of Argos flatpack I've had the
misfortune to assemble has been crap. Badly designed, cheaply made, rubbish
fixings - the solid wood stuff (made largely from scrap scarf jointed
together) twists & warps like a bugger.

IKEA on the other hand have my blanket praise - never found anything that
wasn't up to scratch.

Ner ner ne ner ner.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have never managed to work up the enthusiasm to go wandering round one
of those! ;-)

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get to
the checkout.

Be warned the bookcases are good value but if you want more than the
base pack the chances of finding all the extras in the right colour are
almost zero.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2008 08:41, robert wrote:

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get to
the checkout.

If you look behind you there are generally several shortcuts ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 08:45:11 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 30/04/2008 08:41, robert wrote:

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get to
the checkout.

If you look behind you there are generally several shortcuts ...

If you can bring yourself to go in in the first place.

I can appreciate IKEA's business model and their reasonable value for
money. For me, the problem is the shopping experience. I don't
want to have to trail around the store to get one thing and the short
cuts usually have to be pointed out and opened by a staff member.

Warehouse picking and not having confirmed knowledge of availability
before going is no good, and then having to arrange delivery separately
is unreasonable.

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 6:59*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I assemble loads of flatpack, probably more in a year than most people do in
a lifetime. *Without exception every piece of Argos flatpack I've had the
misfortune to assemble has been crap. *

I sympathise with your misfortune, for that is, indeed, what it is,
nothing to do with Argos quality.

Badly designed, cheaply made, rubbish
fixings - the solid wood stuff (made largely from scrap scarf jointed
together)

I haven't come across any that is scarf jointed. The solid would range
are made from narrow "planks" like the pine "shelfboard" that you can
buy. It goes together very well and certainly does not deserve to be
called "****e".

twists & warps like a bugger.

That's not my experience.

Ner ner ne ner ner.

Yahboo sucks!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are crap.

Well, there is a choice of menu.

Last night at IKEA there was fried fish and chips, plus salmon, plus a
selection of pasta dishes. Not just meatballs.

However, I had 10 meatballs with the lingonberry sauce and the light
coloured gravy. Wonderful stuff!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 11:58:32 +0100, Bruce said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are crap.

Well, there is a choice of menu.

Last night at IKEA there was fried fish and chips, plus salmon, plus a
selection of pasta dishes. Not just meatballs.

However, I had 10 meatballs with the lingonberry sauce and the light
coloured gravy. Wonderful stuff!

take a trip to Stockholm to discover how it should be done properly
along with Jansson's Frestelse, Pyttipanna and on Thursday lunchtimes,
ärtsoppa followed by pancakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:4818456a@qaanaaq...

I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:09:46 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

I can appreciate IKEA's business model and their reasonable value for
money. For me, the problem is the shopping experience. I don't
want to have to trail around the store to get one thing and the short
cuts usually have to be pointed out and opened by a staff member.

The IKEA 5 minute shopping guide:

Turn up at opening time
Walk into the store via the exit
Walk to where the display area ends and the warehouse starts
Find trolley
Pick up item from shelf and load onto trolley
Go to the checkout and pay
Find the exit that you walked through less than 5 minutes previously
Exit via the exit

the end

The 6 minute IKEA shopping guide involves turning up at any time and
thus having to queue for about a minute at the checkout.

The 4 hour IKEA shopping guide involves entering via the entrance and
exiting via the exit, something that only an idiot or a first time
visitor to IKEA would do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 11:58:32 +0100, Bruce said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are crap.

Well, there is a choice of menu.

Last night at IKEA there was fried fish and chips, plus salmon, plus a
selection of pasta dishes. Not just meatballs.

However, I had 10 meatballs with the lingonberry sauce and the light
coloured gravy. Wonderful stuff!

take a trip to Stockholm to discover how it should be done properly
along with Jansson's Frestelse, Pyttipanna and on Thursday lunchtimes,
ärtsoppa followed by pancakes.

One side of my family is from Malmö, Sweden, so I know my meatballs!
The meatballs in IKEA are good. Not excellent, not great, but good.
It is difficult to obtain excellent Swedish meatballs in Britain, but
it is easy to obtain good ones from IKEA, and their lingonberry sauce
is great.

I buy my meatballs from ALDI. They are better than IKEA meatballs,
great but still not excellent. Meatballs are meant to be cheap, so
excellence is hard to find. IKEA also sells the excellent Spendrups
beer and Kopparberg pear cider, the latter in 4.5% vol. and
alcohol-free versions.

I usually cook Pyttipanna for Saturday brunch (diced potato, diced
bacon and chopped onion). Ärtsoppa (pea, bacon and onions soup) is
another family favourite but not Frestelse. There are better ways of
eating fish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30, Mike wrote:

The 6 minute IKEA shopping guide involves turning up at any time and
thus having to queue for about a minute at the checkout.

Except when we went to Wembley to get bedroom furniture. There was an hour wait
for the checkout. Oh, and some itmes they promised they had in stock, weren't in
stock.

Once we acquired the "out of stock" items, we've never been back. And likely
never will. Like Andy says, the shopping experience sucks donkey dick.

Well, what a surprise that must have been!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 13:54:52 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:4818456a@qaanaaq...

I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

I have much more enjoyable ways of getting that

Split bookcases? svu geek Home Repair 4 March 11th 07 06:56 PM
Levelling bookcases? Richard Tobin UK diy 15 June 28th 06 11:15 PM
Refurbishing old bookcases [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 13th 06 08:59 PM
Finishing Bookcases Scott Linn Woodworking 6 January 3rd 06 11:08 PM
custom bookcases iradi8 Home Repair 29 January 25th 05 02:47 AM