Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bookcases

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-04-30 13:54:52 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:4818456a@qaanaaq...

I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

I have much more enjoyable ways of getting that

But they say it makes you go blind
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 17:32:24 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2008-04-30 13:54:52 +0100, "Clive George" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:4818456a@qaanaaq...

I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

I have much more enjoyable ways of getting that

But they say it makes you go blind

I'd be careful after your comments about donkeys......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2008 16:11, Bruce wrote:

Kopparberg pear cider

I think Tesco and Sainsbury sell that thesedays
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 08:45:11 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 30/04/2008 08:41, robert wrote:

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get to
the checkout.

If you look behind you there are generally several shortcuts ...

If you can bring yourself to go in in the first place.

I can appreciate IKEA's business model and their reasonable value for
money. For me, the problem is the shopping experience. I don't
want to have to trail around the store to get one thing and the short
cuts usually have to be pointed out and opened by a staff member.

Warehouse picking and not having confirmed knowledge of availability
before going is no good, and then having to arrange delivery separately
is unreasonable.

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are
crap.

Invariably I go to IKEA for good value medium quality flat pack furniture
usually for mid-market landlords.

How to tame the beast...
0) Forget Saturday.
1) Have a van (or estate car + roof rack).
2) Park near where you will come out of the store.
3) Know the products so that you don't have to see what it's like in the
showrooms.
4) Check, online, that your nearest branch has them in stock.
5) Ideally arrive at the opening time. If early have a free coffee.
6) Know how your local store is laid out.
5) Go straight to the checkout and enter the warehouse section directly
from the checkout area. This may involve stepping around the barrier at a
closed checkout.
6) Get aisle/bay numbers from touch terminal, and trolley(s) from the
same area at the start of the warehouse section.
7)Load
8) Pay (no queues as no one else will be a the checkouts yet!).
9) Load van and away.

Maximum time 30 minutes from vehicle back to vehicle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

On 30/04/2008 16:11, Bruce wrote:

Kopparberg pear cider

I think Tesco and Sainsbury sell that thesedays

I've only ever bought it at IKEA, but apparently it is the UK's #1
seller, so it must be sold at other outlets too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 08:45:11 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

[...]

A lot of research beforehand though... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 08:45:11 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 30/04/2008 08:41, robert wrote:

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get
to the checkout.

If you look behind you there are generally several shortcuts ...

If you can bring yourself to go in in the first place.

I can appreciate IKEA's business model and their reasonable value for
money. For me, the problem is the shopping experience. I don't
want to have to trail around the store to get one thing and the short
cuts usually have to be pointed out and opened by a staff member.

Shortcuts are signed in Thurrock + shown on maps.

Warehouse picking and not having confirmed knowledge of availability
before going is no good, and then having to arrange delivery
separately is unreasonable.

You can check availability on line.

Added to this the meatballs and lingonberries in the restaurant are
crap.

The hot dogs are great!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-01 02:49:35 +0100, Anne Jackson said:

You're both men, so you won't enjoy the Ikea experience. Women love Ikea!

Mine doesn't...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:
On 2008-04-30 17:32:24 +0100, Stuart Noble
On 2008-04-30 13:54:52 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

I have much more enjoyable ways of getting that

But they say it makes you go blind

I'd be careful after your comments about donkeys...

That wasn't Stuart. that was Huge!

Ah yes. Oh well, never mind.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-01 02:59:22 +0100, Anne Jackson said:

The message from Andy Burns contains
these words:

On 30/04/2008 08:41, robert wrote:

Very difficult to "wander" around IKEA and it takes for ever to get to
the checkout.

If you look behind you there are generally several shortcuts ...

I don't 'follow the arrows' in Ikea, but then I was always
something of a rebel - or just a stroppy bitch?

Call it being an individual. I do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-05-01 02:49:35 +0100, Anne Jackson said:

You're both men, so you won't enjoy the Ikea experience. Women love
Ikea!

Mine doesn't...

Mine doesn't either.. she, like I, thinks Ikea is full of over priced, cheap
cr@p.
The only thing I find IKEA cheap for is glass for the top of desks.. you can
buy them separately so its an easy option.
I find MFI stuff to be much better but nowhere near as good as ASDA flat
pack (not that they do much).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-30 17:32:24 +0100, Stuart Noble
On 2008-04-30 13:54:52 +0100, "Clive George"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I don't want to have to trail around the store to get one thing

Do it at a quiet time, and just think of it as exercise :-)

I have much more enjoyable ways of getting that

But they say it makes you go blind

I'd be careful after your comments about donkeys...

That wasn't Stuart. that was Huge!

Well, it was a donkey!

MBQ

Split bookcases? svu geek Home Repair 4 March 11th 07 06:56 PM
Levelling bookcases? Richard Tobin UK diy 15 June 28th 06 11:15 PM
Refurbishing old bookcases [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 13th 06 08:59 PM
Finishing Bookcases Scott Linn Woodworking 6 January 3rd 06 11:08 PM
custom bookcases iradi8 Home Repair 29 January 25th 05 02:47 AM