Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Linn

Default Finishing Bookcases

I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of red oak
and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the faceframe
pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The plywood stood just a
fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a couple of places and when I
sanded it flush, I went a little too deep and sanded away a bit of the
veneer. My plan was to finish my bookcases in a Minwax stain that would
match my hardwood floors.

My question: Will these areas stick out like a sore thumb and does anyone
have any advice or 'tricks of the trade' on fixing this problem.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Scott

I hate making mistakes this late in the game!

Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Scott Linn wrote:
I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of red oak
and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the faceframe
pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The plywood stood just a
fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a couple of places and when I
sanded it flush, I went a little too deep and sanded away a bit of the
veneer.

Now _I_ have never made this mistake, but _if_ I had, I would use inlay
strips... and other tricks --- errrr methods --- to hide any such
errors. Just a thought...

A Router can make a nice even groove or dado to lay in a carefully
machined piece of Walnut inlay strip.

I design my stuff for inlay though -- unlike you guys who make
mistakes.

I assure you the Walnut strip in the keyboard tray was the original
design spec. really...
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...furniture.html

Interested in a bridge...????

My plan was to finish my bookcases in a Minwax stain that would
match my hardwood floors.

Gel stain if you don't like inlay... It will lay on top and obscure
mistakes -- and the wood grain. So you may not like the idea...

My question: Will these areas stick out like a sore thumb and does anyone
have any advice or 'tricks of the trade' on fixing this problem.

Yes they will stick out -- at least that's what I have _heard_.

Tricks? No -- just good honest deign ideas -- see above... :-)

Any advice would be appreciated!

God luck -- you'll need it!

Scott

I hate making mistakes this late in the game!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Ketchum

"Scott Linn" wrote in message
I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of red oak
and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the faceframe
pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The plywood stood just a
fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a couple of places and when
I sanded it flush, I went a little too deep and sanded away a bit of the
veneer. My plan was to finish my bookcases in a Minwax stain that would
match my hardwood floors.

That sucks. You will have to make a judgement call. If you decide that it
needs to be repaired (ie- not concealed by finishing tricks), then you can
think about applying a veneer over the plywood to conceal the damage. You
can pick up oak veneer at your local woodworking store or buy it online.
Good luck

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Scott Linn" wrote in message
I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of red
oak and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the faceframe
pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The plywood stood just
a fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a couple of places and
when I sanded it flush, I went a little too deep and sanded away a bit of
the veneer. My plan was to finish my bookcases in a Minwax stain that
would match my hardwood floors.

That sucks. You will have to make a judgement call. If you decide that
it needs to be repaired (ie- not concealed by finishing tricks), then you
can think about applying a veneer over the plywood to conceal the damage.
You can pick up oak veneer at your local woodworking store or buy it
online. Good luck

On more than one occasion I have made veneer out by just taking a very fine
cut on the TS.
The hard part is making room for it. I have feathered the edges with a
sander and simply glued it on over the damage, but it was in a spot where no
one would see it anyhow.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Scott Linn wrote:
I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of
red oak and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the
faceframe pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The
plywood stood just a fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a
couple of places and when I sanded it flush, I went a little too deep
and sanded away a bit of the veneer. My plan was to finish my
bookcases in a Minwax stain that would match my hardwood floors.

My question: Will these areas stick out like a sore thumb

They would to me
___________

and does
anyone have any advice or 'tricks of the trade' on fixing this
problem.

I'd take a router and make a shallow cut (1/8 or so) wide enough to
cover the booboo and glue in a piece of solid wood. Which will need to
be planed/sanded flush.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

The best method is to cover that panel with another piece of
plywood. That of course changes the entire case and would
require a new face frame. You could use 1/4" ply and do it to
both sides to cover the mistake and make the case "equal"
in size. Make a new face frame and you are back in the game.

Scott Linn wrote:

I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of red oak
and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the faceframe
pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The plywood stood just a
fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a couple of places and when I
sanded it flush, I went a little too deep and sanded away a bit of the
veneer. My plan was to finish my bookcases in a Minwax stain that would
match my hardwood floors.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 01:23:44 GMT, "Scott Linn"
wrote:

I have built a pair of bookcases/cabinets for my living room out of red oak
and oak plywood. I used my KREG pocket hole jig to join the faceframe
pieces and then applied it to my plywood carcass. The plywood stood just a
fraction of an inch proud of the face frame in a couple of places and when I
sanded it flush, I went a little too deep and sanded away a bit of the
veneer. My plan was to finish my bookcases in a Minwax stain that would
match my hardwood floors.

My question: Will these areas stick out like a sore thumb and does anyone
have any advice or 'tricks of the trade' on fixing this problem.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Scott

I hate making mistakes this late in the game!

When you make face frames it is usually a good practice to let the
solid wood stand slightly proud of the ply carcase, so that you can
run a flush cutting bit to bring the solid stock level with the ply.
Then you make a sanding block that is L shaped, kind of like a right
angle block plane, so that you can only sand to the point where the
solid hits the ply. Modern veneers are too thin to be sanded.

Since you already have sand-through, you might want to think about
turning the bug into a feature.

I don't know what style your bookcases are but in the traditional sort
of stuff that I've mostly done, I might try adding a molding that
would cover the sand-throughs.

It could be like a backband for door casing, or it could be a piece
that overlays the problem area but does not run over the front of the
trim.

A small astragal shaped piece, or a thin bead and quirk with the
square edge run off as a cove or taper might work.

It could even be as simple as a piece of lattice profile that coves or
rounds on the edges, so as to not look too much like a Fix.

HTH

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/