Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laminate Flooring - Which type?

Hi,

I am getting some laminate flooring laid in a room fairly busy through
traffic - an as the traffic is a couple of boys I need something a biy
robust.

I have shortlisted 2 types of laminate flooring:
- Quick-Step Uniclic (http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/en/
widest_range.aspx)
- Timberjacks (http://topclasscarpentry.co.uk/category/Timberjack
%20Professional%20V%20Groove%20Laminate%20Flooring/)

Has anyone any experience of these? How do they compare against each
other.

Thanks,
Liam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2008 07:58 Liam wrote:

I have shortlisted 2 types of laminate flooring:
- Quick-Step Uniclic (http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/en/
widest_range.aspx)

We've got Uniclic
(http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/...or/401102.aspx) and are happy
with it. I've got no experience of the Timberjacks.

You should be aware that you will shortly receive a number of replies
telling you how laminate flooring is the spawn of the devil etc etc...
It happens every time laminate flooring is mentioned. Brace yourself!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote

--

I have some myself but wouldn't recommend it for upstairs rooms, or if you
have adjoining neighbours whose friendship/consideration you value.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Apr, 11:24, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 15/04/2008 07:58 Liam wrote:

I have shortlisted 2 types of laminate flooring:
- Quick-Step Uniclic (http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/en/
widest_range.aspx)

We've got Uniclic
(http://www.quick-step.com/europe/uk/...or/401102.aspx) and are happy
with it. I've got no experience of the Timberjacks.

You should be aware that you will shortly receive a number of replies
telling you how laminate flooring is the spawn of the devil etc etc...
It happens every time laminate flooring is mentioned. Brace yourself!

I would be interested in why people laminate flooring is so hated? I
have heard that laminate flooring is getting much better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Liam wrote:
snip

I would be interested in why people laminate flooring is so hated? I
have heard that laminate flooring is getting much better.

Perfectly reasonable question. My first answer is noise. With laminate
(or other hard surface) the reflected noise can easily become
unbearable. I feel that old-style (thick) wooden flooring (e.g.
Victorian or earlier floor boards) is better. And carpet (of any sort)
better still. Together with the odd noises that can come from
poorly-laid laminate - you have sufficient reason.

I accept, however, that it can be very effective in appropriate places.
--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Liam wrote:
snip

I would be interested in why people laminate flooring is so hated? I
have heard that laminate flooring is getting much better.

Perfectly reasonable question. My first answer is noise. With laminate
(or other hard surface) the reflected noise can easily become
unbearable. I feel that old-style (thick) wooden flooring (e.g.
Victorian or earlier floor boards) is better. And carpet (of any sort)
better still. Together with the odd noises that can come from
poorly-laid laminate - you have sufficient reason.

I accept, however, that it can be very effective in appropriate places.

We had laminate floor installed 7 years ago. There is no sign of wear on
the floor, even though it is "tracked" constantly. To be honest that is
its sole plus. If anything is dropped on it it sounds as though a bomb
has gone off. As it is a photograph of wood, though at first glance it
looks like wood, it is too regular to look aesthetically pleasing.

Laminate Flooring (Pergo-type) Donny Home Repair 12 June 12th 06 07:52 PM
laminate flooring Jane Home Repair 2 May 1st 06 04:20 PM
How do you paint Formica-type laminate geezer Home Repair 2 November 28th 05 04:25 PM
laminate flooring therebel UK diy 31 March 1st 05 10:28 AM
Re Re Laminate Flooring srazor Woodworking 0 August 27th 04 06:57 AM