Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Laminate Flooring - Which type?

Rod wrote:
Liam wrote:
snip

I would be interested in why people laminate flooring is so hated? I
have heard that laminate flooring is getting much better.

Perfectly reasonable question. My first answer is noise. With laminate
(or other hard surface) the reflected noise can easily become
unbearable. I feel that old-style (thick) wooden flooring (e.g.
Victorian or earlier floor boards) is better. And carpet (of any sort)
better still. Together with the odd noises that can come from
poorly-laid laminate - you have sufficient reason.

I accept, however, that it can be very effective in appropriate places.

We had laminate floor installed 7 years ago. There is no sign of wear on
the floor, even though it is "tracked" constantly. To be honest that is
its sole plus. If anything is dropped on it it sounds as though a bomb
has gone off. As it is a photograph of wood, though at first glance it
looks like wood, it is too regular to look aesthetically pleasing.