Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laminate Floor Access

Its quite common in same areas around here to have the stopcock under the
hall floorboards (older houses). Someone asked me to move one t'other day
so they could have laminate flooring in the hall.

Turned the job down because it was an iron pipe with no joins I could see,
in a really inaccessible place. No doubt it could be done, but not a job
for me.

It leads me to think however that it must be a common problem.

Has anyone seen an 'off the shelf' laminate floor access hatch?

I suppose I could build one, but a standard product would be easier.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Its quite common in same areas around here to have the stopcock under the
hall floorboards (older houses). Someone asked me to move one t'other day
so they could have laminate flooring in the hall.

Turned the job down because it was an iron pipe with no joins I could see,
in a really inaccessible place. No doubt it could be done, but not a job
for me.

It leads me to think however that it must be a common problem.

Has anyone seen an 'off the shelf' laminate floor access hatch?

I suppose I could build one, but a standard product would be easier.

Angle grinder to remove the laminate floor would be the best option,
followed by replacement with a proper floor or renovation of the one
that's already there.

Hopefully this customer has a dog which will scratch their proposed
plastic floor to buggery in no time, forcing them to do a proper job.

I don't like laminate floors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

I'd never have guessed........

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

What about using one of those remote switch operated stop cocks?

http://www.surestop.co.uk/powered-by-water.asp

Any views on these? My stop tap is behind my washing machine so it appeals
to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Its quite common in same areas around here to have the stopcock under the
hall floorboards (older houses). Someone asked me to move one t'other day
so they could have laminate flooring in the hall.

Turned the job down because it was an iron pipe with no joins I could see,
in a really inaccessible place. No doubt it could be done, but not a job
for me.

It leads me to think however that it must be a common problem.

Has anyone seen an 'off the shelf' laminate floor access hatch?

I suppose I could build one, but a standard product would be easier.

I can't imagine it would be a go-er, because it would need to be made
from the same material as the laminate itself. Otherwise you'd end up
with something along the lines of:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20924/Building/Builders-Accessories/Access-Panel-250-x-200mm?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-ACCESS-_-20924
(not suitable in itself, as that's for a wall).

I've made access hatches in T&G wall boards in bath panels, by planing
off the tongue as appropriate and glueing boards together, and it looked
fine, virtually undetectable. Would be easy to do similar with laminate
flooring I'd have thought, although personally I've never fitted it.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Nor do I, but they certainly are practical, especially for young
families. You can waltz a grand piano round the room without leaving a
single mark, so I don't know what sort of dog you have in mind
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

They look cheap and nasty, they're cold and make everything echo. Get a
decent
underlay and carpet. Laminate floors are about as fashionable as garden
decking
now. Terrible things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Don't you go dissing decking! Fighting talk!

Still seems to be popular down here in the Garden of England.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

What about using one of those remote switch operated stop cocks?

http://www.surestop.co.uk/powered-by-water.asp

Any views on these? My stop tap is behind my washing machine so it
appeals to me.

We've had one for about 2-3 yrs, because existing stopcock was a hideously
stiff brass thing in an impossible location. The remote switch was
connected a few feet after the original cock, with the switch in an nearby
alcove (out of sight but easy to reach).

Installation was easy, it's been reliable and it works. I'll bet it won't
last 100 years like traditional metal fittings, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

Or about as fashionable as a Plasma TV on the chimney-breast - over the
fireplace....................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Its quite common in same areas around here to have the stopcock
under the hall floorboards (older houses). Someone asked me to move
one t'other day so they could have laminate flooring in the hall.
Turned the job down because it was an iron pipe with no joins I
could see, in a really inaccessible place. No doubt it could be
done, but not a job for me.
It leads me to think however that it must be a common problem.
Has anyone seen an 'off the shelf' laminate floor access hatch?
I suppose I could build one, but a standard product would be easier.

You can get "stage floor boxes" for use in office floors to carry
electrical wiring, they have a recessed panel in the lid where
matching laminate or carpet can be slid in.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...xes/index.html

Coincidentally I fitted one of those very objects last week in an office on
the local industrial estate. Cut a channel in the floor from the wall to the
room centre - about 10', then a rectangle for the box.

What a bugger of a job! Concrete had presumably been compacted with a
vibrating poker and was as hard as bloody nails, then I hit the rebar which
had to be cut away with an angle grinder. Wished I'd never started it.

Problem would be in this case that they have a solid steel base.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

SNIP

Or about as fashionable as a Plasma TV on the chimney-breast - over the
fireplace....................

This is known in the trade as the "Chav" location for a flat screen TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
"John" wrote in message

SNIP

Or about as fashionable as a Plasma TV on the chimney-breast - over
the fireplace....................

This is known in the trade as the "Chav" location for a flat screen
TV.

Should be millions around here then!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman