Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laminate floor & access to stopcock

Hi

I wish to lay laminate flooring in my conservatory, however our main
water stopcock is located in the middle of the room (which we can't
move). My plan is to create some sort of access panel (approx
12x12cm) which I can get to in case of emergency.

Has anyone done anything similar or know of a product which serves
this purpose?

Many thanks.

Dezza.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Apr, 20:13, Lobster wrote:
wrote:
I wish to lay laminate flooring in my conservatory, however our main
water stopcock is located in the middle of the room (which we can't
move). My plan is to create some sort of access panel (approx
12x12cm) which I can get to in case of emergency.

Has anyone done anything similar or know of a product which serves
this purpose?

Surely the answer is to cut the panel from the floor, with a
fine-toothed saw, to make it minimally visible; you don't want any other
'product'. Two edges of the panel can coincide with edges of the
laminate board (assume you're using some form of planking?), the other
two will be perpendicular cuts.

What will this laminate lie on - is it flat on a solid floor or
something? I'm trying to envisage how you have a stop cock in the
middle of the floor...

David

Thanks David

It seems a bit daft i know but the stop cock was initially outside but
now the conservatory is placed over it (wasn't moved - balls up on my
part).

The tap in a foot deep hole which currently sits under 2" chipboard &
insulation (access hole has been cut), i will be placing electric
underfloor heating and flexible screed over the top. E.g.

surface
Laminate ________
Heating ___| |___
Chipboard ----| |------
| |
stopcock ___oo___

I will be using locking laminate panels so i cant see a way of cutting
a small section out and easily extracting it (because it's locked in).

Cheers.

Derrick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you must go this route, then these are made for this type of job:

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routabout/

--
Cheers,

John.

Nice one... that's the sort of thing i'm after.

Unfortunately the stopcock outside it the main isolation tap before it
gets into the house (i dont know the technical term) and will be a
*hit to move at this stage.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The routabout fixing has a 25cm diameter... have you seen a smaller
version about?

Cheers.

Dezza.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The routabout fixing has a 25cm diameter... have you seen a smaller
version about?

No, but you could achieve a smaller cutout with a circle jig... You
could then use a bevel cutter to trim the edge and to make a matching
bit of infill (unlike the usual use of the jig, you probably will not
want to flip the laminate over to plug the hole!)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice chaps... appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 9, 10:06 am, "The Medway Handyman"
Hi

I wish to lay laminate flooring in my conservatory, however our main
water stopcock is located in the middle of the room (which we can't
move). My plan is to create some sort of access panel (approx
12x12cm) which I can get to in case of emergency.

Fit one of these somewhere else - they work 8 metres away apparentlyhttp://www.surestop.co.uk/Features.html

Interesting link, thanks. I too have a stopcock in a stupid place and
it would be handy to be able to turn off the supply without emptying a
cupboard and pulling back flooring to get at the small hatch (3 hacked
bits of floorboard, to be more precise).

Screwfix have the most reasonable prices, and as someone pointed out
in an earlier thread, the standard ("non-remote" model, according to
SF) unit has 4m of operating cable anyway.

--
"Permission for lip to wobble, Sir?"