Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Laminate Floor Access

"Rob" wrote in message

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-04-13 12:13:01 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Its quite common in same areas around here to have the stopcock under
the
hall floorboards (older houses). Someone asked me to move one t'other
day
so they could have laminate flooring in the hall.

Turned the job down because it was an iron pipe with no joins I could
see,
in a really inaccessible place. No doubt it could be done, but not a
job
for me.

It leads me to think however that it must be a common problem.

Has anyone seen an 'off the shelf' laminate floor access hatch?

I suppose I could build one, but a standard product would be easier.

Angle grinder to remove the laminate floor would be the best option,
followed by replacement with a proper floor or renovation of the one
that's already there.

Hopefully this customer has a dog which will scratch their proposed
plastic floor to buggery in no time, forcing them to do a proper job.

I don't like laminate floors.

Nor do I, but they certainly are practical, especially for young
families. You can waltz a grand piano round the room without leaving a
single mark, so I don't know what sort of dog you have in mind

They look cheap and nasty, they're cold and make everything echo. Get a
decent
underlay and carpet. Laminate floors are about as fashionable as garden
decking
now. Terrible things.

Or about as fashionable as a Plasma TV on the chimney-breast - over the