Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiling Bathroom Floor - no access to pipes

I want to tile the batrhroom floor but this will mean I have no access
to the water and sink/bath waste pipes if anything goes wrong -

Is there anything I can do apart from leaving the plumbing for a week
or so after I do it and check there are no leaks/problems in that
time.

If I do have a problem I guess I will have to take the floor up and re-
tile.

The tiles are to go on 6mm plywood on top of the floorboards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"405 TD Estate" wrote in message
I want to tile the batrhroom floor but this will mean I have no access
to the water and sink/bath waste pipes if anything goes wrong -

Is there anything I can do apart from leaving the plumbing for a week
or so after I do it and check there are no leaks/problems in that
time.

If I do have a problem I guess I will have to take the floor up and re-
tile.

The tiles are to go on 6mm plywood on top of the floorboards.

If it is on a floor other than the ground one it is usually easier to pull
down the ceiling downstairs to gain access.

It is always a good idea to properly test your plumbing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

If it is on a floor other than the ground one it is usually easier to pull
down the ceiling downstairs to gain access.

Lol,not a practical thing to do though is it. ;-)

The best he can do if he feels it necessary? is to bring the pipes above the
floor behind the skirting and have this screw onto a box section for access.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Mar, 10:31, "JoeJoe" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

m...

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

If it is on a floor other than the ground one it is usually easier to
pull
down the ceiling downstairs to gain access.

Lol,not a practical thing to do though is it. ;-)

Why not?

The best he can do if he feels it necessary? is to bring the pipes above
the
floor behind the skirting and have this screw onto a box section for
access.- Hide quoted text -

I sure wouldn't want to be taking the ceiling down. Getting it down is
the easy bit though.

It's a dilemma I've been faced with since I had my bathroom replumbed
and now all the pipes are under a layer of chipboard, a layer of
plywood and a layer of tiles.

For me, retiling a section of floor is an easier option than
replastering a ceiling, but I reckon a professional plasterer would
disagree.

I wonder whether the plywood layer is essential. My floors are quite
level so I tiled one room directly onto the original flooring
chipboard using flexible tiling adhesive and it's worked well, if fact
rather better than the stuff used in the bathroom where some tiles
have got sightly loose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 9:19 am, 405 TD Estate wrote:
I want to tile the batrhroom floor but this will mean I have no access
to the water and sink/bath waste pipes if anything goes wrong -

Is there anything I can do apart from leaving the plumbing for a week
or so after I do it and check there are no leaks/problems in that
time.

If I do have a problem I guess I will have to take the floor up and re-
tile.

The tiles are to go on 6mm plywood on top of the floorboards.

If you're worried about the plumbing joints you can check them before
you tile. Just place some valves on the end of the piping temporarily,
run the water, use the valves to bleed the air and check for leaks.

What kind of joints have you got? I would always advise solder joints
where possible but am also happy to use push-fit. Just ensure the
pipes are well secured with clips and if using push-fit, that any
locking tabs etc are in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are soldered at the moment (original) and i have new pipework to
do which I will solder - i was wondering waht would happen if in 6
months or 4 years one develops a leak? is it the case that if it
doesn't leak within 1 week of making it - ot never will.

I dont want to add any more taps or anything - it's just making it
more complicated and increases the risk of a leak.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

405 TD Estate wrote:
They are soldered at the moment (original) and i have new pipework to
do which I will solder - i was wondering waht would happen if in 6
months or 4 years one develops a leak? is it the case that if it
doesn't leak within 1 week of making it - ot never will.

Broadly yes. Pipework lasts longer than the bathroom finish in almost
all cases.

I have never actually experienced a long term leak on plumbing that
wasn't at either a compression joint, screw joint or valve.

Yes, over time pipework CAN corrode through. But that is decades, not
years..

The jury is still out on pushfit rubber seal degradation tho.

I dont want to add any more taps or anything - it's just making it
more complicated and increases the risk of a leak.

I had a lot of chouces about accessibiluyty when plumbing and wiring
this house.

In the end I decided that apart fropm things like valves and compression
joints, the pipework was part of the building, and as long as you could
smash down a plasterboard wall to get to it, in the end that would be
cheaper and nicer than making access panels to get at every last inch of it.

Nearly all of it is inside the walls. Just the last few inches to the
very few radiators..and some in or behind cupboard stuff in the
kitchens and around the boiler..

Ripping out a wall and rebuilding it to fix a pipe problem is not as
expensive as you think.

I manged to put a nail through a mains pressure cold feed when doing
some bathroom work ..SWMBO was in tears. I nipped into town, got a slip
coupling, drained it, mopped up the mess, cut the plasterboard out, put
in in a new section, and had the plasterboard back in place and filler
over it by teatime.

As long as you have a few spare tiles to retile any bits you bugger up,
its a snap to do repairs to walls and boxing.

If you don't. its usally a sign that a bathroom needs a refurb anyway ;-)

I had a loo cistern once that was cracked and leaking..easy peasy you
might think. Anything but. The new cistern overflow didn't match, and by
the time I had knocked a whole brick out of the wall, replaced it and
mortared it in, made good, the whole bathroom needed
painting..again..and I decided that it was time to put a new floor down
etc etc.

Sometimes its just easier to rip and replace than fiddle with rusted
screws that wont come out, panels that have become stick etc etc.

Many years of car repairs taught me that beyond 10 years old, things
that were designed to come apart often didn't, and if you have a leak in
one bit of pipe chances are teh rest is none to bright either. We got
used to saying 'sod this, axles off, drums off axles with blow torch,
new cylinders in, drums and disks skimmed, all new pipework to new
master cylinder. Right. That's fixed the brakes!

So if your plumbing develops a leak in what is supposed to be solid
copper, you probably want new plumbing throughout anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 03:41:27 -0800 (PST), andyv
had this to say:

On 6 Mar, 10:31, "JoeJoe" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

m...

"JoeJoe" wrote in message

If it is on a floor other than the ground one it is usually easier to
pull
down the ceiling downstairs to gain access.

Lol,not a practical thing to do though is it. ;-)

Why not?

The best he can do if he feels it necessary? is to bring the pipes above
the
floor behind the skirting and have this screw onto a box section for
access.- Hide quoted text -

I sure wouldn't want to be taking the ceiling down. Getting it down is
the easy bit though.

If a pipe 'goes wrong' you'll almost certainly have to replace the
ceiling below anyway :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 1:45 pm, 405 TD Estate wrote:
They are soldered at the moment (original) and i have new pipework to
do which I will solder - i was wondering waht would happen if in 6
months or 4 years one develops a leak? is it the case that if it
doesn't leak within 1 week of making it - ot never will.

I dont want to add any more taps or anything - it's just making it
more complicated and increases the risk of a leak.

If a solder joint is going to leak, it's more than likely going to
straight away. I wouldn't worry too much.

Tiling on wooden bathroom floor Andrex UK diy 6 March 20th 06 06:03 PM
Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 09:49 AM
Tiling Bathroom Floor? PaPaPeng Home Repair 1 April 2nd 05 02:23 PM
Tiling Bathroom Floor/Shower REW Home Repair 5 November 5th 04 03:09 PM
Bathroom floor tiling question L Beck Home Repair 3 January 1st 04 06:31 PM