Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Staircase balusters boarded over

Hopefully this isn't a strange question, but the balusters on the
staircase in my house are boarded over on both sides with plywood. I
don't know when this when done (looks like it's been like that for
years), but what I'm wondering is if I strip the plywood boards off,
what will I find underneath? Will it be nice balusters from the late
1930's (when the house was built), that need sanding down and a lick
of paint, or could there actually just be a few supporting balusters
because the plywood was put on when the staircase was originally built
(i.e. it was the fashion back then).

My suspicion is that someone has done a DIY job on it in the 60's or
70's, but I really don't know for certain, and don't want to rip of
the plywood without having a good idea of what's behind it. Any advice/
experience appreciated.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 11, 2:52*pm, Stuart Noble
Hopefully this isn't a strange question, but the balusters on the
staircase in my house are boarded over on both sides with plywood. * I
don't know when this when done (looks like it's been like that for
years), but what I'm wondering is if I strip the plywood boards off,
what will I find underneath? *Will it be nice balusters from the late
1930's (when the house was built), that need sanding down and a lick
of paint, or could there actually just be a few supporting balusters
because the plywood was put on when the staircase was originally built
(i.e. it was the fashion back then).

My suspicion is that someone has done a DIY job on it in the 60's or
70's, but I really don't know for certain, and don't want to rip of
the plywood without having a good idea of what's behind it. Any advice/
experience appreciated.
Thanks

In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough - the whole area where the
balusters are is boarded over, not individual balusters. There's two
big pieces of plywood covering the whole baluster area. What I'm
curious about is what's behind these two pieces of plywood - proper
balusters or just a few supporting struts holding up the handrail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:12:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 11, 2:52*pm, Stuart Noble
[...]

It's very hard to tell from where we are sitting g

If you tap on the plywood with your knuckles then you _might_ be able
to tell where the vertical supports are from the 'ring' of the knock
(sounds hollow in-between the supports, sounds soild where the
uprights are). You might also be able to see nail or screw-heads where
the ply has been fixed to the uprights - but they're probably not
fixed at every upright...

I'd guess that it's one of those DIY jobs on a par with panelling over
those 'nasty' Victorian doors - and has probably been done in the
simplest way possible (which would be to leave the existing uprights
in place and simply fix the ply (or more likely, hardboard) to them...

....but people do strange things g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough - the whole area where the
balusters are is boarded over, not individual balusters. There's two
big pieces of plywood covering the whole baluster area. What I'm
curious about is what's behind these two pieces of plywood - proper
balusters or just a few supporting struts holding up the handrail.

Sounds like a typical bit of 1970's modernism. I think the odds are in
your favour that the diy'er will have made the minimum of effort, and
lightly pinned the plywood (luxury! - it's usually hardboard) panels
in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Apr 11, 2:52 pm, Stuart Noble
[...]

I understood fine. I'm simply saying square, rather than turned,
balusters were popular in the 30s so you may not be revealing anything
fancy by taking the ply off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 06:21:19 -0700, 24by7 wrote:

Hopefully this isn't a strange question, but the balusters on the
staircase in my house are boarded over on both sides with plywood. I
don't know when this when done (looks like it's been like that for
years), but what I'm wondering is if I strip the plywood boards off,
what will I find underneath? Will it be nice balusters from the late
1930's (when the house was built), that need sanding down and a lick
of paint, or could there actually just be a few supporting balusters
because the plywood was put on when the staircase was originally built
(i.e. it was the fashion back then).

My suspicion is that someone has done a DIY job on it in the 60's or
70's, but I really don't know for certain, and don't want to rip of
the plywood without having a good idea of what's behind it. Any advice/
experience appreciated.
Thanks

==================================
Drill a 1/8" hole and insert a length of bent, stiff wire; wiggle it about
to see if it hits any obstructions which could be staircase parts. Repeat
the process a few times in other areas to confirm results.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Apr 11, 2:52 pm, Stuart Noble
In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough ...

No, you misunderstood the answer. The chances are that, if there are
balusters behind the panelling, they are simple square pieces of timber.
Modernism, much inspired by Bauhaus, was the building style of the 1930s and
the turned bits of wood liked by the Victorians were definitely passé.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble explained :
wrote:
[...]

Ours is a 1940's semi and was covered. On removing the panels the
balusters were just plain square and unevenly spaced. So my thoughts
were that the hardboard was put on at the original time of build. It
was panelled over and then wood trim neatly installed over the top of
that.

When I get roundtuit, I intend to replace them with some better ones
and of course evenly spaced. It is not a difficult job.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 11, 2:52 pm, Stuart Noble
In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough ...

No, you misunderstood the answer. The chances are that, if there are
balusters behind the panelling, they are simple square pieces of timber.
Modernism, much inspired by Bauhaus, was the building style of the 1930s and
the turned bits of wood liked by the Victorians were definitely passé.

Yes I recently renovated a postwar ex-council house which had hideous
panelled balusters, and I had to make a similar judgement as to whether
there was anything decent behind the plywood: in the end I had to pry
off the corner of one piece... which revealed just a stud framework of
rough-sawn timber. Back went the panel!

I think you'll have to have a look to be su even if there were
originally good balusters underneath and they've been Barrybucknellised,
it's still possible that they could have been irretrievable damaged in
the process (often happened with panelled doors where the moulding was
raised).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies guys, I never expected so many responses
and all of them helpful. Really appreciate it. I guess the only way
to find out is to take a look - I was rather hoping you'd all say "Of
course they'll be balusters behind there, just pull the plywood
off !!" Ain't that simple though
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nightjar
writes

wrote in message
On Apr 11, 2:52 pm, Stuart Noble
In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough ...

No, you misunderstood the answer. The chances are that, if there are
balusters behind the panelling, they are simple square pieces of timber.
Modernism, much inspired by Bauhaus, was the building style of the 1930s and
the turned bits of wood liked by the Victorians were definitely passé.

yeah that's exactly what we had (1938 semi), boarded over with hardboard
in probably 1960's.

Not exciting. but once painted. the stairs and hallway looked much, much
better. I just had to replace a few that's all
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French was thinking very hard :
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Stuart Noble explained :
wrote:
[...]

Surely the finish (or not would indicate whether or not they were.

If painted, or like ours some sort of stain/varnish then it indicates they
were originally exposed

Well they were stained, but little care had been taken to install them
for a good fit or accurate spacing - so my assumption was that they had
not been installed to be seen. Lots of care had been taken with the
panelling though.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ours is a 1940's semi and was covered. On removing the panels the
balusters were just plain square and unevenly spaced. So my thoughts were
that the hardboard was put on at the original time of build. It was
panelled over and then wood trim neatly installed over the top of that.

When I get roundtuit, I intend to replace them with some better ones and
of course evenly spaced. It is not a difficult job.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Similar situation in our house. Stripped the plywood off
about 10 years ago to reveal plain 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 balusters.
I got some turned spindles from a timber-merchant and
cut them to size, this is the result.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/stairs.jpg
The hardest part was stripping the paint from the rest of
the staircase. I am not much of a DIYer but am very
pleased with the result.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd guess that it's one of those DIY jobs on a par with panelling over
those 'nasty' Victorian doors - and has probably been done in the
simplest way possible (which would be to leave the existing uprights
in place and simply fix the ply (or more likely, hardboard) to them...

That would be my guess too; you might find one or two broken which might be
why it was panelled, but they are likely to be square and therefore
relatively easily replaced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr, 15:21, wrote:
Hopefully this isn't a strange question, but the balusters on the
staircase in my house are boarded over on both sides with plywood. I
don't know when this when done (looks like it's been like that for
years), but what I'm wondering is if I strip the plywood boards off,
what will I find underneath? Will it be nice balusters from the late
1930's (when the house was built), that need sanding down and a lick
of paint, or could there actually just be a few supporting balusters
because the plywood was put on when the staircase was originally built
(i.e. it was the fashion back then).

My suspicion is that someone has done a DIY job on it in the 60's or
70's, but I really don't know for certain, and don't want to rip of
the plywood without having a good idea of what's behind it. Any advice/
experience appreciated.
Thanks

Is this a row of identical houses? If so, ask other people in the
street.

Chris

Staircase Jig Arthur2 UK diy 10 January 17th 08 12:09 AM
Staircase (New) Vass UK diy 13 June 1st 07 10:44 PM
Staircase (New) [email protected] UK diy 1 May 31st 07 12:11 PM
Insulating a boarded loft [email protected] UK diy 17 October 25th 06 09:27 AM
Casting concrete balusters & explosion-proof fans N. Thornton UK diy 0 May 31st 04 10:17 AM