Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Staircase balusters boarded over

chris French was thinking very hard :
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Stuart Noble explained :
wrote:
Hopefully this isn't a strange question, but the balusters on the
staircase in my house are boarded over on both sides with plywood. I
don't know when this when done (looks like it's been like that for
years), but what I'm wondering is if I strip the plywood boards off,
what will I find underneath? Will it be nice balusters from the late
1930's (when the house was built), that need sanding down and a lick
of paint, or could there actually just be a few supporting balusters
because the plywood was put on when the staircase was originally built
(i.e. it was the fashion back then).

In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

Ours is a 1940's semi and was covered. On removing the panels the balusters
were just plain square and unevenly spaced. So my thoughts were that the
hardboard was put on at the original time of build. It was panelled over
and then wood trim neatly installed over the top of that.

Surely the finish (or not would indicate whether or not they were.

If painted, or like ours some sort of stain/varnish then it indicates they
were originally exposed

Well they were stained, but little care had been taken to install them
for a good fit or accurate spacing - so my assumption was that they had
not been installed to be seen. Lots of care had been taken with the
panelling though.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)