Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Staircase Jig

How hard could it be to make your own ?

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:
How hard could it be to make your own ?

It's easy!

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

Correct!

So whats hard about it?

It's NOT hard!

Work out the rise and the going and then make two templates (three for a
closed string)

Template 1 A PITCH board that includes the rise and the going of the
treads (and riser if needed)

Template 2 A TREAD template

Template 3 A RISER template (if required)

Use the above to set out the strings ready for cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:

How hard could it be to make your own ?

Its not... especially if all you need is one that does a specific stair
rather than a general purpose one to do any stair.

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Here is one I made earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/images/strings.jpg

end result:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Jan, 20:26, John Rumm wrote:
Arthur2 wrote:
How hard could it be to make your own ?

Its not... especially if all you need is one that does a specific stair
rather than a general purpose one to do any stair.

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Here is one I made earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/images/strings.jpg

end result:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

A very nice job!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Arthur2 wrote:

How hard could it be to make your own ?

Its not... especially if all you need is one that does a specific stair
rather than a general purpose one to do any stair.

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Here is one I made earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/images/strings.jpg

end result:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

Looks good!

I've actually been thinking about making a jig for some time.
The only thing I'm nervous about is cumulative error. I'm thinkin that I
will end up with a
convex or concave flight of stair nosings.
So you could tell me if I'm worrying overmuch. Or should I build onto the
jig a 'noggin' or
something to locate on the previous tread groove?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
How hard could it be to make your own ?

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Arthur

Hire one? Template it then take it back...a tenner well spent as you now
have a template to work with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"Arthur2" wrote in message
How hard could it be to make your own ?

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Arthur

Hire one? Template it then take it back...a tenner well spent as you now
have a template to work with.

Didn't think of that...{tries to think of an excuse}

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 16 Jan, 22:14, "Arthur2" wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

Arthur2 wrote:

How hard could it be to make your own ?

Its not... especially if all you need is one that does a specific stair
rather than a general purpose one to do any stair.

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Here is one I made earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/images/strings.jpg

end result:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

Looks good!

I've actually been thinking about making a jig for some time.

Whilst a template might be helpful to double check layout, working out
the distance of each step away from a base or reference step using a
spreadsheet is much preferable. A 0.5mm lead propelling pencil marks
out lines very well & then you can clamp wood to guide the router very
easily.

The only thing I'm nervous about is cumulative error.

measuring everything from a base point or reference step avoids that.

But you need to sort out exactly what sizes your treads and risers and
nosings are going to be. BTW nosing size is just as important for
comfort as tread and rise.

It may be that space constraints mean you are governed by the limits
imposed by the building regs. If not it pays to consider this very
carefully. IMHO at the steep limit BR stairs are too steep; at the
other extreme a shallow stair is a very hard tramp.

Would suggest you look around as much as possible & try different out
as many as possible both going up and down.

I'm thinkin that I
will end up with a
convex or concave flight of stair nosings.
So you could tell me if I'm worrying overmuch. *Or should I build onto the
jig a 'noggin' or
something to locate on the previous tread groove?

no. measure every step directly from one you've taken great care to
get exactly right. Be careful to make the steps level. Once you have
tried climbing a staircase with a slope on its tread, even a tiny one,
you will understand what I mean.

Making your own stair is a good idea as (unless you skimp on
materials) you will finish up with a much better job than a mass
produced model. For example you can use thicker timber (eg 12mm
plywood instead of 9mm for the risers).

A couple of points worth considering:

1 A central stringer run down & notched into the underside of each
step adds greatly to strength and rigidity.

2. A single or full bull nose starting step adds much to the look of a
stairway. These are made by milling away the base riser on the bend
to almost nothing (one or 2 layers of the plywood only are kept). The
riser is finsihed by bending it round a 4 x 4 or larger rounded
vertical noggin & glueing. Or for a larger radius bend bolt and glue
several thick pieces of timber together.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"Arthur2" wrote in message
How hard could it be to make your own ?

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Arthur

Hire one? Template it then take it back...a tenner well spent as you now
have a template to work with.

Didn't think of that...{tries to think of an excuse}

While you're at it...hire a kitchen worktop jig as well,although it takes a
good router and bit for that type of routing. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Arthur2 wrote:

How hard could it be to make your own ?

Its not... especially if all you need is one that does a specific
stair rather than a general purpose one to do any stair.

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Here is one I made earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/images/strings.jpg

end result:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

Alan Herd eat you heart out! Nice one John.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
.uk...

"Arthur2" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
. uk...

"Arthur2" wrote in message
How hard could it be to make your own ?

Seems not too difficult to me..specially if I wanted
an open string.

So whats hard about it?

Arthur

Hire one? Template it then take it back...a tenner well spent as you
now
have a template to work with.

Didn't think of that...{tries to think of an excuse}

While you're at it...hire a kitchen worktop jig as well,although it takes
good router and bit for that type of routing. ;-)

I think not!
If I'm buttin 2 piece of worktop together I will cut both edges
simultaneously.
Workbench to support the worktops where they meet..1/2 inch apart.
A work trestle to support the end of the short length. And the wife can put
her hands on her knees and support the other.
No worries

Arthur

Staircase (New) Vass UK diy 13 June 1st 07 10:44 PM
Staircase (New) [email protected] UK diy 1 May 31st 07 12:11 PM
Staircase into Loft mark blackall UK diy 9 October 22nd 05 03:40 PM
Un-Carpeting a Staircase Jodi Home Repair 3 September 2nd 05 07:42 PM
Staircase risers sam UK diy 5 June 29th 05 10:19 AM