Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Staircase balusters boarded over

In message , nightjar
writes

wrote in message
On Apr 11, 2:52 pm, Stuart Noble
In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough ...

No, you misunderstood the answer. The chances are that, if there are
balusters behind the panelling, they are simple square pieces of timber.
Modernism, much inspired by Bauhaus, was the building style of the 1930s and
the turned bits of wood liked by the Victorians were definitely passé.

yeah that's exactly what we had (1938 semi), boarded over with hardboard
in probably 1960's.

Not exciting. but once painted. the stairs and hallway looked much, much
better. I just had to replace a few that's all
--
Chris French