Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Staircase balusters boarded over

wrote:
On Apr 11, 2:52 pm, Stuart Noble
Hopefully this isn't a strange question, but the balusters on the
staircase in my house are boarded over on both sides with plywood. I
don't know when this when done (looks like it's been like that for
years), but what I'm wondering is if I strip the plywood boards off,
what will I find underneath? Will it be nice balusters from the late
1930's (when the house was built), that need sanding down and a lick
of paint, or could there actually just be a few supporting balusters
because the plywood was put on when the staircase was originally built
(i.e. it was the fashion back then).
My suspicion is that someone has done a DIY job on it in the 60's or
70's, but I really don't know for certain, and don't want to rip of
the plywood without having a good idea of what's behind it. Any advice/
experience appreciated.
Thanks

In this area square balusters were all the rage in the 30s.

I probably didn't explain it clearly enough - the whole area where the
balusters are is boarded over, not individual balusters. There's two
big pieces of plywood covering the whole baluster area. What I'm
curious about is what's behind these two pieces of plywood - proper
balusters or just a few supporting struts holding up the handrail.

I understood fine. I'm simply saying square, rather than turned,
balusters were popular in the 30s so you may not be revealing anything
fancy by taking the ply off.