Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External structural wood glue

What has gone wrong with this group ... This used to be such a good group
with low spam ratio.

Not been here much lately and now find of full of SPAM & Flames .... a pity

Now the question, I need a very strong wood glue for external structural
joinery (6x6 and 12x4 timbers) ... all timbers are tantalized, so must be
able to work on treated wood

In the past I have opted for Cascamite .. it is reasonably gap filling,
strong & waterproof. (and expensive)
But as I have been using Cascamite for more than 25 years has the technology
moved on ... is there something better ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

... is there something better ?

Better, polyurethane glues -

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...ues-553865.htm

Best, epoxies -

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...oxy-206888.htm

Of course better is never cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 19:30, "Rick Hughes" wrote:
What has gone wrong with this group ... This used to be such a good group
with low spam ratio.

Not been here much lately and now find of full of SPAM & Flames .... a pity

Now the question, I need a very strong wood glue for external structural
joinery (6x6 *and 12x4 timbers) ... all timbers are tantalized, so must be
able to work on treated wood

In the past I have opted for Cascamite .. it is reasonably gap filling,
strong & waterproof. *(and expensive)
But as I have been using Cascamite for more than 25 years has the technology
moved on ... is there something better ?

Dear Rick
I recommend the resorcinol types - used for Glulam
I got mine from "The Factory Crondal Lane, Dippenhall, Farnham, Surrey
GU10 5DW 01252 725100"
I used C-1711 from AKZO Nobel ADCO UK Ltd

Tanalised timber is normally not planed and you would need to take off
the worst of the roughness to get a good joint

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try some of this stuff. http://www.jellydeal.co.uk/EVO-STIK-...sive-310ml.htm
I used it to assemble the M&T joints on some benches for outside.
Brilliant stuff!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

... is there something better ?

Better, polyurethane glues -

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...ues-553865.htm

Best, epoxies -

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...oxy-206888.htm

Of course better is never cheaper.

I thought that foaming polyurethane glues were not very good for external
joinery .. great for tight fitting joints and fast cures, but strength not
brilliant ? ... or at least that is what I read here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought that foaming polyurethane glues were not very good for external
joinery .. great for tight fitting joints and fast cures, but strength not
brilliant ? ... or at least that is what I read here.

Very waterproof, and capable of strong joints - but must be well
matching surfaces and firmly clamped. If it foams and gap fills
because there's space in the joint (rather than the external foaming
of excess glue being pushed out of a tight joint), then not so great.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 11, 7:52*pm, "Rick Hughes" wrote:

I thought that foaming polyurethane glues were not very good for external
joinery .. great for tight fitting joints and fast cures, but strength not
brilliant ? ... or at least that is what I read here.

Have a look at Sikaflex, 261 or 221 IIRC

Marineflex is pretty much the same at a better price.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
What has gone wrong with this group ... This used to be such a good
group with low spam ratio.

Not been here much lately and now find of full of SPAM & Flames .... a pity

Now the question, I need a very strong wood glue for external structural
joinery (6x6 and 12x4 timbers) ... all timbers are tantalized, so must
be able to work on treated wood

In the past I have opted for Cascamite .. it is reasonably gap filling,
strong & waterproof. (and expensive)
But as I have been using Cascamite for more than 25 years has the
technology moved on ... is there something better ?

Technology may have, but the physics of wood haven't.No glue ever seems
to work well outside with all that 'water and dry' cycling.

Carpenters used exopanding polyurethane. As the wood warped, it simply
tore out..

Fortunately there are coach bolts as well..