Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what filler to use on external wood cladding

My sister has just moved into a house in northern Sweden, made of
wood. Now that she has painted it a lighter colour, gaps are looking
uglier between the top strips of wood on the outside, and the timbers
they are nailed onto. (The strips are about 4-5 cm wide and 1-1.5 cm
thick, and there is about a 4-5 cm gap between them).

Given that the house has stood there since the 1930s, and has been
regularly repainted, I doubt that there is any structural problem. But
the gaps don't look very nice. In many places they are much too deep
(e.g. 3-4 mm) to fill up with paint.

I should add that the gaps aren't evident all over the place - just
under about maybe 10% of the strips.

What filler should we use? Something with a bit of flexibility, as
used between windows and masonry? Or common-or-garden builders' caulk?
Or what??

Cheers,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 1:22 pm, John Nagelson wrote:

What filler should we use?

I should maybe also add - all of the timbers are vertical.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-17 12:22:34 +0100, John Nagelson said:

[...]

It would be advisable for her to ask locally.

If it's that far north, then temperatures can drop to -40 or even lower
in the winter and can get up to the high 20s in the summer. This is a
far larger range than in the UK. There are quite different humidity
conditions as well. In the winter, humidity up there is commonly 20%
or less.

I've visited the region many times and even had occasion to wander
around DIY stores (Jaernia, Bauhas, Ohlin etc) and the product
offerings are quite different to the UK in terms of items and materials
on offer. For example, B&Q doesn't seem to have much of a line in
snowmobiles or big drills for making holes in the ice. Look in the
local paper in Luleaa or Kiruna and there are loads of places selling
this stuff.

It would also be a good idea if she asks locally about the appropriate
repair techniques. I know several people in Sweden with homes built
in the 30s and before and there are certainly things that they do and
things that they don't that we would do here. Generally, even homes
of that age are quite well insulated, but care is also taken to ensure
correct ventilation.

The point here is to have local advice about the right material and
also technique to use. It would be unwise to simply transplant
something from the UK.

it's the perfect week to do the work, though. One can work 24hrs a
day (almost); although most people seem to prefer to play - and I don't
blame them. Winter is another matter entirely but has its own charms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 12:24 pm, John Nagelson wrote:
On Jun 17, 1:22 pm, John Nagelson wrote:

What filler should we use?

I should maybe also add - all of the timbers are vertical.

Really?

I should have thought you'd maybe also add a picture.

But it seems that the outer leaf is made of 2" x 1/2" cladding. All
you need do is go down it with mastic. Tell her to have a word with
her neighbours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Nagelson wrote:
[...]

Exterior grade acrylic mastic..an outdoor version of decorators caulk.

IIRC it's sold as 'frame sealant'. Avoid silicone - paint wont take.

Wood Filler For Exterior Wood Patching ? Robert11 Home Repair 4 March 4th 07 09:04 PM
wood filler Lee Woodworking 7 February 8th 07 06:53 PM
Using wood filler Don Dando Woodworking 3 March 30th 06 01:21 AM
Cladding for gable-end, uPVC or wood? Andy W UK diy 2 May 26th 04 09:55 PM