Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default wood filler

Have some very small gaps in joined wood I would like to fill. (Yeah I know
I need a new joiner) What should I use for a filler?
Wood is walnut and the finish will be tung oil ( no Stain)
Looked at Behlen wood-fil ( water base)and it seems to be the right choice.
If I'm right where can I get some. Catalogs and Woodcrafter don't mention
it.
Is there an alternative brand and should I use water or solvent base?
Thanks in advance
Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
Have some very small gaps in joined wood I would like to fill. (Yeah I
know I need a new joiner) What should I use for a filler?
Wood is walnut and the finish will be tung oil ( no Stain)
Looked at Behlen wood-fil ( water base)and it seems to be the right
choice. If I'm right where can I get some. Catalogs and Woodcrafter don't
mention it.
Is there an alternative brand and should I use water or solvent base?
Thanks in advance
Lee

The walnut filler that comes in little tubes at HD is a pretty good match;
elmers I think.
Most fillers are acts of desperation, but walnut works well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

"Toller" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
Have some very small gaps in joined wood I would like to fill. (Yeah I
know I need a new joiner) What should I use for a filler?
Wood is walnut and the finish will be tung oil ( no Stain)
Looked at Behlen wood-fil ( water base)and it seems to be the right
choice. If I'm right where can I get some. Catalogs and Woodcrafter don't
mention it.
Is there an alternative brand and should I use water or solvent base?
Thanks in advance
Lee

The walnut filler that comes in little tubes at HD is a pretty good match;
elmers I think.
Most fillers are acts of desperation, but walnut works well.

My desperation has a name...1972 6" Simpson Sears jointer

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee" wrote in
t:

Have some very small gaps in joined wood I would like to fill. (Yeah I
know I need a new joiner) What should I use for a filler?
Wood is walnut and the finish will be tung oil ( no Stain)
Looked at Behlen wood-fil ( water base)and it seems to be the right
choice. If I'm right where can I get some. Catalogs and Woodcrafter
don't mention it.
Is there an alternative brand and should I use water or solvent base?
Thanks in advance
Lee

No matter what you use, there will be a noticeable portion, with an oil
finish.

That said, Rockler's has a water-based filler that sorta works for small
stuff, like the holes where the 18ga brad went through the wood. Try it
with scrap first, whatever you use, all the way to the end of your
finishing program, to see if you like it. This stuff is cheap, compared to
screwing up your whole project.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee wrote:
Have some very small gaps in joined wood I would like to fill. (Yeah I know
I need a new joiner) What should I use for a filler?
Wood is walnut and the finish will be tung oil ( no Stain)
Looked at Behlen wood-fil ( water base)and it seems to be the right choice.
If I'm right where can I get some. Catalogs and Woodcrafter don't mention
it.
Is there an alternative brand and should I use water or solvent base?
Thanks in advance
Lee

G'day Lee,
I have good results with wax sticks. Usually I put on one coat of
finish, then use the wax stick. I cut very small amounts of the end with
a putty knife and force it into the gap(Hole)then scape of any excess
with the knife. A quick going over with a green scotch pad and it
disappears with the second and subsequent finish coats.

Good luck
regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee - I've had great luck with 5 minute epoxy on walnut and oak. Ends up
looking fairly natural and seems to take a poly somewhat so probably will
take the tung oil as well. two coats is enough, then sand - works REALLY
well with big defects. (try a on test piece and see if it gives you the look
your after)

Good luck - Schroeder

"Lee" wrote in message
t...
Have some very small gaps in joined wood I would like to fill. (Yeah I

know
I need a new joiner) What should I use for a filler?
Wood is walnut and the finish will be tung oil ( no Stain)
Looked at Behlen wood-fil ( water base)and it seems to be the right

choice.
If I'm right where can I get some. Catalogs and Woodcrafter don't mention
it.
Is there an alternative brand and should I use water or solvent base?
Thanks in advance
Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking

Schroeder wrote:
Lee - I've had great luck with 5 minute epoxy on walnut and oak.

Same here.

I'll often tint it with black artist's oil paint.

I don't fully understand why, but black filler ends up looking way more
natural than other colors I've tried.

Wood filler Dave Woodworking 11 October 27th 06 10:09 PM
Staining wood filler Steve Woodworking 0 October 23rd 06 10:03 PM
Wood filler David Todtman Woodworking 6 June 29th 06 06:04 PM
Using wood filler Don Dando Woodworking 3 March 30th 06 01:21 AM
exterior wood filler Zz Yzx Home Repair 8 February 26th 06 11:18 PM