Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default scrap metal revisited

Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the
roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get
snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the
growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings,
assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling
center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts
of metalwork that are worth selling ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jives11 wrote:
Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the
roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get
snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the
growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings,
assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling
center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts
of metalwork that are worth selling ?

I've found are local scrap metal dealer easy to deal with (even if the
premises are a bit intimidating at first)with no minimum amounts.

Segregate the scrap into its different types for best prices - well
worth removing brass fittings from copper pipe first. They will weigh
and pay for each category separately.

Copper gets the best prices - even domestic mains flexs get £1 kg.
But even the iron etc is going to be recycled properly so a good place
to get rid of everything possible with the money an extra.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jives11" wrote in message

Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the
roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get
snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the
growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings,
assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling
center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts
of metalwork that are worth selling ?

Up here (Central Scotland) one company will come and pick up any car and
give you £100!
changed days!!

Des

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robert" wrote in message
jives11 wrote:
[...]

Separate aluminium too. You might think there's no weight in your bucket of
bits but it's worth collecting and taking.

I'm currently collecting all my bits of platinum wire.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Apr, 11:02, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I'm currently collecting all my bits of platinum wire.

Platinum's a pain though. JM are unpleasant to deal with unless you're
trade, jewellers are generally thieving short-changers when it comes
to dealing bullion and even a crucible to turn your dust & wire into a
reasonable ingot is likely to cost a fair price in its own right.

I just love recycling silver (it's so easy!), and cuppelating mucky
gold is an excuse to make shakudo. Platinum though is a white-metal
elephant. It's too expensive to throw away, too awkward to actually
get on and do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-03, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 3 Apr, 11:02, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I'm currently collecting all my bits of platinum wire.

Platinum's a pain though. JM are unpleasant to deal with unless you're
trade, jewellers are generally thieving short-changers when it comes
to dealing bullion and even a crucible to turn your dust & wire into a
reasonable ingot is likely to cost a fair price in its own right.

I just love recycling silver (it's so easy!), and cuppelating mucky
gold is an excuse to make shakudo.

Blimey. Not often I learn three new words in a day.

cuppelation, shakudo and litharge (in the Wikipedia definition of cuppelation).
I already knew what a tsuba (I can see 2 from where I'm sitting) is. And a
yatate.

You're not in Yo Sushi again are you? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 3 Apr, 11:02, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

I'm currently collecting all my bits of platinum wire.

Platinum's a pain though. JM are unpleasant to deal with unless you're
trade, jewellers are generally thieving short-changers when it comes
to dealing bullion and even a crucible to turn your dust & wire into a
reasonable ingot is likely to cost a fair price in its own right.

I just love recycling silver (it's so easy!), and cuppelating mucky
gold is an excuse to make shakudo. Platinum though is a white-metal
elephant. It's too expensive to throw away, too awkward to actually
get on and do it.

Someone we've known for fifty years will take it. He already deals with our
silver - both directions - and gold. That's his business, being friends we
trust him.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Dieseldes" contains these words:
"jives11" wrote in message

Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the
roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get
snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the
growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings,
assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling
center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts
of metalwork that are worth selling ?

Up here (Central Scotland) one company will come and pick up any car and
give you £100!
changed days!!

Henry Grey (Kirkcaldy) has always done that. The price has gone up
slightly, from £80 some 20 or so years ago.

--
AnneJ

Got it (them ) in one.....

Des

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jives11" wrote:

Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through
the roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as
they get snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth? I wonder
if the growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings,
bearings, assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to
the recycling center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and
minimum amounts of metalwork that are worth selling ?

Up here (Central Scotland) one company will come and pick up any car
and give you £100! changed days!!

Henry Grey (Kirkcaldy) has always done that. The price has gone up
slightly, from £80 some 20 or so years ago.

Got it (them) in one.....

Of course I did - I used to know all the scrap dealers/auto breakers
in Scotland, when I owned a scrapyard...! ;-)

--
AnneJ

and if you were anywhere between Perth and Glasgow in the last 30 years I
have probably visited you......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jives11" wrote:

[...]

Perth. We had a variety of addresses, the last two being 'near the
railway
station', and 'Inveralmond Estate'...

--
AnneJ

Yes It would have been Inveralmond, this interwebby thing makes it a small
world

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

... when I owned a scrapyard...! ;-)

Did you really own a scrapyard? I can't think of many more satisfying
occupations - honestly!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 17:52:06 +0100, Anne Jackson wrote:

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:

... when I owned a scrapyard...! ;-)

Did you really own a scrapyard? I can't think of many more satisfying
occupations - honestly!

Yes, I did. It _was_ very satisfying, you're right!

I used to visit a scrappy of the traditional variety (bloke built like a
brick sh*thouse and a dog. Savage beast. So was the dog) in Tyseley
when I first started working for Girlings in the mumblemid
'70s/mumble. But the nicest one I ever visited (which I hope is still
going) was a few years ago in South Brent, just inside the Dartmoor
national park. Needed* a new starter for our Cavalier. Early middle-aged
bloke running it who hunted around his vehicles for something with the
right motor, got it out for me and helped me fit it (well practically
fitted it for me). We got talking and he said he used to be a bank manager
but took early retirement when the bank was looking to shed staff and
bought the scrappy of an old bloke who'd had it since way back when,
before the National Park was established and hence they couldn't get
him out although they hated him being there sullying their natural beauty.

* or thought I did: turned out it wasn't the motor but a stupid poxing
fault on the ignition switch

--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security
Posted to uk.d-i-y

to keep abreast of the daily fluctuations in the scrap metal market,
try http://www.scrapmetalpricesandauctions.com website which provides
FREE current and historic scrap metal prices.