Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default scrap metal revisited

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 17:52:06 +0100, Anne Jackson wrote:

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote:

... when I owned a scrapyard...! ;-)

Did you really own a scrapyard? I can't think of many more satisfying
occupations - honestly!

Yes, I did. It _was_ very satisfying, you're right!

I used to visit a scrappy of the traditional variety (bloke built like a
brick sh*thouse and a dog. Savage beast. So was the dog) in Tyseley
when I first started working for Girlings in the mumblemid
'70s/mumble. But the nicest one I ever visited (which I hope is still
going) was a few years ago in South Brent, just inside the Dartmoor
national park. Needed* a new starter for our Cavalier. Early middle-aged
bloke running it who hunted around his vehicles for something with the
right motor, got it out for me and helped me fit it (well practically
fitted it for me). We got talking and he said he used to be a bank manager
but took early retirement when the bank was looking to shed staff and
bought the scrappy of an old bloke who'd had it since way back when,
before the National Park was established and hence they couldn't get
him out although they hated him being there sullying their natural beauty.

* or thought I did: turned out it wasn't the motor but a stupid poxing
fault on the ignition switch

--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security