Posted to uk.d-i-y
robert robert is offline

Default scrap metal revisited

jives11 wrote:
Hi, I keep hearing about how scrap metal prices have gone through the
roof and how abandoned car wrecks are a thing of the past as they get
snapped up by scarp metal men. Is this a myth ? I wonder if the
growing shed of cast off diy metal brick-a-brack (castings, bearings,
assorted rubbish) is better taken to a merchants than to the recycling
center ? Does anyone have experience of the types and minimum amounts
of metalwork that are worth selling ?

I've found are local scrap metal dealer easy to deal with (even if the
premises are a bit intimidating at first)with no minimum amounts.

Segregate the scrap into its different types for best prices - well
worth removing brass fittings from copper pipe first. They will weigh
and pay for each category separately.

Copper gets the best prices - even domestic mains flexs get £1 kg.
But even the iron etc is going to be recycled properly so a good place
to get rid of everything possible with the money an extra.