Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for suitably powerful jigsaw ?

Hi folks,

I'm going to be cutting quite a lot of heavy softwood (redwood) in curved
shapes. The problem I anticipate is my 'budget' jigsaw will not be up to
the task, so I'm looking for recommendations for a more suitable beastie.

The thickest I'll be cutting will be 2" (50mm) but in the past I've found
that the budget range find this fairly difficult and tend to create a slope
in the cross section of the cut (or is that just me and my questionable
technique?) .

I'm hoping to find one that will eat up the 2" thickness *and* help me to
keep things straight/curved (you know what I mean).

Any recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yesterday I was cutting 100mm thick softwood with my Bosch GST135.
Many people also recommend the Makita pro models.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-29 10:01:58 +0000, "Neil Ross" said:

Hi folks,

I'm going to be cutting quite a lot of heavy softwood (redwood) in curved
shapes. The problem I anticipate is my 'budget' jigsaw will not be up to
the task, so I'm looking for recommendations for a more suitable beastie.

The thickest I'll be cutting will be 2" (50mm) but in the past I've found
that the budget range find this fairly difficult and tend to create a slope
in the cross section of the cut (or is that just me and my questionable
technique?) .

I'm hoping to find one that will eat up the 2" thickness *and* help me to
keep things straight/curved (you know what I mean).

Any recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks
Neil

If you want to do this with a jig saw then the three manufacturers to
look at are Festool, Bosch (blue GST series) and Makita.

If you are going to do this job regularly, then depening on dimensions,
a bandsaw could be a better alternative, especially with thicker
material.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil Ross wrote:

I'm going to be cutting quite a lot of heavy softwood (redwood) in curved
shapes. The problem I anticipate is my 'budget' jigsaw will not be up to
the task, so I'm looking for recommendations for a more suitable beastie.

The thickest I'll be cutting will be 2" (50mm) but in the past I've found
that the budget range find this fairly difficult and tend to create a slope
in the cross section of the cut (or is that just me and my questionable
technique?) .

Probably not your technique...

I'm hoping to find one that will eat up the 2" thickness *and* help me to
keep things straight/curved (you know what I mean).

Any recommendations from personal experience?

I have one similar to:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...ws&product=641

It will cross cut an 8x2" in about 2 seconds with pendulum action on its
middle setting! Cuts straight and smooth.

As Andy said though, if you are doing lots of it, a bandsaw may be more
appropriate.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar, 10:01, "Neil Ross" wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm going to be cutting quite a lot of heavy softwood (redwood) in curved
shapes. *The problem I anticipate is my 'budget' jigsaw will not be up to
the task, so I'm looking for recommendations for a more suitable beastie.

The thickest I'll be cutting will be 2" (50mm) but in the past I've found
that the budget range find this fairly difficult and tend to create a slope
in the cross section of the cut (or is that just me and my questionable
technique?) .

I'm hoping to find one that will eat up the 2" thickness *and* help me to
keep things straight/curved (you know what I mean).

Any recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks
Neil

dom, Andy and John,
Many thanks for the recommendations. Yes, I agree a band saw would be
the
best tool but some of this stuff is fairly hefty to wriggle through a
band
saw and also I would hope to be using it in future on site - I'm
confident a good jigsaw will fit the bill and be more useful to me in
future. It's high time I ditched the one I already have so no it's
time to upgrade. Having read up
as much as possible on the various models I'm leaning towards the
Bosch
GST135 BCE. It does seem to be a good tool and most likely to be the
one
for me.

Again many thanks for the advice,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-29 14:01:03 +0000, Neil-R said:

[...]

OK. Well if it's site work, forget bandsaw, way too heavy.

If you currently have a "DIY grade" jigsaw (whatever that is) then you
will be pleasantly surprised with what the GST and others can do in
terms of controllability and accuracy.

Even so, any jigsaw does have its limits, so depending on the finish
you are seeking, you may still need to cut on the waste side and do a
final sanding. Choice for that obviously depends on scale and
application.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neil Ross wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm going to be cutting quite a lot of heavy softwood (redwood) in
curved shapes. The problem I anticipate is my 'budget' jigsaw will
not be up to the task, so I'm looking for recommendations for a more
suitable beastie.

Makita 4350

The thickest I'll be cutting will be 2" (50mm) but in the past I've
found that the budget range find this fairly difficult and tend to
create a slope in the cross section of the cut (or is that just me
and my questionable technique?) .

My makita cuts 38mm worktop or a 6x2 like it isn't there, pretty much square
cut.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:01:03 -0700, Neil-R wrote:

On 29 Mar, 10:01, "Neil Ross" wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm going to be cutting quite a lot of heavy softwood (redwood) in
curved shapes. Â*The problem I anticipate is my 'budget' jigsaw will not
[...]

It's worth searching fr a supplier (even ebay shops) as I got mine for
under £100 whereas most were offering for £120-£130