Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kress drill (Attn Mr Medway!)

John Rumm wrote:
somebody wrote:

Whether I/you/we (or as some posters are more frequently and
annoyingly saying "one") agree or disagree about the Wickes/Kress, I
think it's important to distinguish between disliking the tool full
stop and disliking the tool because of the *person* who raves about
it :-)

I think the grey SDS drill is generally well enough respected, and
for a time had a niche place in the market since it was a fair bit
cheaper than the more well known quality branded tools. Now that it
is the same price or even more than the slightly more powerful but
otherwise equivalent Makita' et al, the attraction is less.

The combi angle drill is not as easy to find, but if you need the
angle attachment then there is not much to touch it at the price.

[1] AIUI not all Wickes power tools are made by Kress. I think the
grey professional series are, but the others[2] aren't? Can't cite
anything, just
what I've come to believe.

From what I have seen the grey stuff tends to be from respectable
OEMs, but not always Kress. Their 1/2" router for example was a
rebadged Freud.

Noticed the other day that the grey range has a 5 year warranty.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
In article , "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

It's about 30 quid on eBay isn't it?
Then a tenner for postage. Then a
tenner for postage to send it back if it
goes wrong, and it starts
looking a bit more expensive.

I have seen them in shops - Senco sell them. Amazon do too.

Who are Senco? Not the people who make the screwguns?

A trade outlet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:

This particular drill is 15.6v. Is this an unusual voltage?

Less usual. Batteries packs are made of of multiple individual cells
wired togther so there're more in an 18v, fewer in a 12v.

How easy
will it be to get replacement batteries if those supplied eventually
fail, or does it work out cheaper to buy a new drill than new
batteries?

Kress guarantee to keep spares for 10 years after they cease production
of a particular model. Their service agents used to be BMJ Power (the
old Black and Decker service centres after a managemnet buy-out) but
they went bust. I don't know who the current UK service agents are but
the contact details will be included with the drill. Or Wickes will
tell you if you ask at the desk. Or you can email Kress.

From what I can see, most of the others in the range are 18v. I think
some of the 18v ones are hammer action but I don't think the 15.6v is.
I guess the angle attachment would be more use than the hammer action
though.

I just read Dave Plowman's post that his has definitely got hammer
action. I must have the previous model 'cause it has two gears but no
hammer action. Also Dave said "Slide the black wedge on the top
back forward" to find the screwdriver bits. On mine, you unclip the
battery to reveal the stored bits.

Looks like they've just run out of stock on the Wickes website: "This
product is not available to view."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:05:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Don't you read my posts? It *has* got hammer action.

My apologies. There were other people saying they had Wickes drills
but not that one, and I thought you fell into that category. If the
15.6v has hammer, drill, screw, and right angle drill capabilities I
must rush out and buy one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike says...
Looks like they've just run out of stock on the Wickes website: "This
product is not available to view."

I've heard of people buying the display item when the shop
has run out of stock, but buying the display item online
must be a first :-)
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 19, 3:04*pm, Fred wrote:

Does this mean DIYers can use leave the drill on the shelf for a month
and still find it holding charge?

Yes, but if the batteries get screwed by over discharge they won't.

So it's best to change batteries as soon as they start to 'fade'

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:05:56 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Dribble says it's now 80 quid - I thought it good value at 110. Could be
it's until stocks are exhausted. My local branch doesn't have them in
stock anymore.

I called my branch; they said the computer says the last delivery was
(IIRC) two years ago but they still have two in stock! What does that
say about the people round here? Obviously they don't buy drills or
buy them from somewhere else! The computer also said they could not be
reordered and that, combined with its absence from the web site, makes
me agree with you that they are being reduced to clear, so I would
urge anyone else in my position to get one now while you still can!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message

The computer also said they could not be
reordered and that, combined with its absence from the web site, makes
me agree with you that they are being reduced to clear,

Wickes never sold the drill properly. They never advertised the angle
attachment at all. I went into one branch and they never knew it could be
converted to angle drill. The average punter would see a £100 to £120 drill
driver (Plantpot says it is also a hammer too) and walk away thinking it was
just a simple overpriced drill driver. If what has been said her is right it
is:

1. Drill/driver
2. Hammer drill
3. Angle drill.

The punters are the losers here, as a quality 3 function drill is not know
to them or on the market any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mike wrote:
I just read Dave Plowman's post that his has definitely got hammer
action. I must have the previous model 'cause it has two gears but no
hammer action. Also Dave said "Slide the black wedge on the top
back forward" to find the screwdriver bits.

No - that's to engage the hammer action. Slightly unusual as most drills
have this control near the front.

On mine, you unclip the battery to reveal the stored bits.

As mine.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Don't you read my posts? It *has* got hammer action.

My apologies. There were other people saying they had Wickes drills
but not that one, and I thought you fell into that category. If the
15.6v has hammer, drill, screw, and right angle drill capabilities I
must rush out and buy one.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at 80 quid. Or even at the 110 I paid.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Dribble says it's now 80 quid - I thought it good value at 110. Could be
it's until stocks are exhausted. My local branch doesn't have them in
stock anymore.

I called my branch; they said the computer says the last delivery was
(IIRC) two years ago but they still have two in stock! What does that
say about the people round here? Obviously they don't buy drills or
buy them from somewhere else!

One theory is they're pretty plain looking for a causal purchase and don't
have the 'name' either for a 100 quid plus drill. I bought it mainly for
the right angle function but it's now my drill of choice out of several.

The computer also said they could not be
reordered and that, combined with its absence from the web site, makes
me agree with you that they are being reduced to clear, so I would
urge anyone else in my position to get one now while you still can!

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

Agree. It's a shame there aren't other OEMs making decent angle drills.

Main problem is that it is a niche tool, so there will probably never be
the sales volume to get decent ones at a low price.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Main problem is that it is a niche tool, so there will probably never be
the sales volume to get decent ones at a low price.

It surprised me just how often I use the adaptor. Lets you drill cable
holes etc through joists 'square' rather than at an angle as before.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
In article , "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

At £26 it is cheap though, so for *very occasional* occasional use...

OK you had a bad one.

Yeah, I accept that a sample of one is not statistically significant and
maybe I just had the Friday afternoon one. But the truth is it's just
not great. It's a different body shape to any other mains angle drill
for no obvious or good reason. Seems quite large and long in comparison
which partly defeats the object of an angle drill.

It looks about the same lengthy as a small Impact Driver. I would rather
have one of thse to drill. But!! Can you get stubby bits that will drill
28mm holes with a 1/4" hex shank?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:20:12 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
mike wrote:
I just read Dave Plowman's post that his has definitely got hammer
action. I must have the previous model 'cause it has two gears but no
hammer action. Also Dave said "Slide the black wedge on the top
back forward" to find the screwdriver bits.

No - that's to engage the hammer action. Slightly unusual as most drills
have this control near the front.

On mine, you unclip the battery to reveal the stored bits.

As mine.

Hello,

Just to say I have been and bought one. As far as I can see, there is
no hammer action. On both mine and the display model there is a black
switch on the top which is marked with drill and screw icons and it
selects the high or low gear. Interestingly on the 18v models the
switch is a different style and marked H and L.

The only other black button I could see was the forward/reverse
switch.

It says nothing on the box, nor instructions, nor display material
about hammer action but it does say on the box that specification may
change so I am guessing I have a different version to you. How can we
tell? Is there a model number on it or is there a bar code on your
box?

I would have expected specs to improve and functions to be added; not
removed! Anyway I bought it for the 90 degree attachment and I am sure
I will use that more than I would have used hammer action.

I agree that the display makes no mention of the attachment so many
people probably walk away thinking why pay £79/£99/£110 for a cordless
drill when they could get one at Screwfix for £29.

One display model gave me a shock because it worked when I pressed the
trigger; I was expecting them to be dummy bodies. I have taken my
drill out of the box and its batteries are charged too. I guess it has
been in its box a while, so we may not need to worry about the
comments that nicads discharge if not used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Main problem is that it is a niche tool, so there will probably never be
the sales volume to get decent ones at a low price.

It surprised me just how often I use the adaptor. Lets you drill cable
holes etc through joists 'square' rather than at an angle as before.

Not saying they are not useful - quite the opposite. Just more a
question of numbers... many people will want a drill, but they are
unlikely to want a dedicated angle drill as their first or only one.

It is surprising how few "ordinary" drills have some form of angle
adaptor included though. Perhaps it is a cost issue - cheap angle
adaptors never seem to last long.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:03:32 GMT, Fred
wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post but I just wanted to say:

I couldn't find a hammer action switch on the 18v display model but I
didn't look too closely because I wasn't buying that.

There is no mention about drilling masonry in the instructions, so I
am thinking there is no hammer action.

Finally, Wickes sell this as a "high torque" drill. I see they also
sell a corded "very high torque" drill. Does anyone know what's so
special about that one?

Thanks for all your help so far, I am sure I will enjoy my purchase
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
No - that's to engage the hammer action. Slightly unusual as most drills
have this control near the front.

Don't you read my posts? It *has* got hammer action.

In addition to drilling does it also do screw driving? Does it have a
hammer action drill?
Yes to both. And it's an excellent screwdriver. Can't really comment on
the hammer action as I seem only to need plain drilling or SDS. ;-)
Only thing I would add is its maximum speed is rather slower than most
cordless drills. Which might be a factor if you're drilling lots of
small holes in wood.

Hello,

Just to say I have been and bought one. As far as I can see, there is
no hammer action. On both mine and the display model there is a black
switch on the top which is marked with drill and screw icons and it
selects the high or low gear.
I would have expected specs to improve and functions to be added; not
removed! Anyway I bought it for the 90 degree attachment and I am sure
I will use that more than I would have used hammer action.

Only thing I would add is its maximum speed is rather slower than most
cordless drills. Which might be a factor if you're drilling lots of
small holes in wood.

Dave,

Are you absolutely sure it has hammer action? The "black wedge" (well
blue on my version) switches between first and second gear.

You also said, "Can't really comment onthe hammer action as I seem only
to need plain drilling" and that "its maximum speed is rather slower
than most cordless drills".

This hammer action that you've not used... it's not actually *second*
gear, is it?

I hope not 'cause if it is, IMM's gonna have a field day over this :-)

Fred,

I wouldn't worry about it not having hammer action. If you want to
drill into anything other than lightweight blocks, you're better off
with an SDS anyway and they're cheap enough these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Finally, Wickes sell this as a "high torque" drill. I see they also
sell a corded "very high torque" drill. Does anyone know what's so
special about that one?

more torque ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message

This hammer action that you've not used... it's not actually *second*
gear, is it?

I hope not 'cause if it is, IMM's gonna have a field day over this :-)

Mike, I am laughing right now. I feel so stupid actually believing the
Plantpot in the first place (well I did have reservations). It was me who
put him onto it in the first place.

Fabulous drill One of these and an SDS will do most people for most things.

The Wickes SDS is great too (again made by Kress). Well worth it.

Wickes need top be told about this drill and what it does and that they
should push its functions. It is a shame this drill will now be taken out
of the UK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post but I just wanted to say:

I couldn't find a hammer action switch on the 18v display model but I
didn't look too closely because I wasn't buying that.

There is no mention about drilling masonry in the instructions, so I
am thinking there is no hammer action.

Finally, Wickes sell this as a "high torque" drill. I see they also
sell a corded "very high torque" drill. Does anyone know what's so
special about that one?

Yes, I have a mains one. Its a turbo nutter of a drill. Incredible power.
I use it as a mixer and for putting 10mm coach bolts in and for large holes
with auger bits. No clutch, just a side handle 18" long that you hang on to
like grim death!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
In article , "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

For the price and occassional use the Silverline may be worth it. 3 yr
guarantee so easy to get your money back.

It's about 30 quid on eBay isn't it? Then a tenner for postage. Then a
tenner for postage to send it back if it goes wrong, and it starts
looking a bit more expensive.

But what they ask for, which is basically an angle grinder body is
ludicrous.

Agree. It's a shame there aren't other OEMs making decent angle drills.

How about one for nothing?

https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
mike wrote:
In article , "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

For the price and occassional use the Silverline may be worth it. 3 yr
guarantee so easy to get your money back.

It's about 30 quid on eBay isn't it? Then a tenner for postage. Then a
tenner for postage to send it back if it goes wrong, and it starts
looking a bit more expensive.

But what they ask for, which is basically an angle grinder body is
ludicrous.

Agree. It's a shame there aren't other OEMs making decent angle drills.

How about one for nothing?

https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx

Thanks for that tip. Think I will go for the body only as I already have
the drill and the 3 batteries, incidently NiCads which keep their charge
well and power on and on in use.

One aside though I think this thread started or developed as a requirement
to drill 25mm
in a joist with an angled drill. This 12V Makita only has a 10mm chuck and
won't take a 25mm auger which I doubt it could drive anyway without cooking,
which the batteries are capable of doing. The angled body is less capable
still.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post but I just wanted to say:

I couldn't find a hammer action switch on the 18v display model but I
didn't look too closely because I wasn't buying that.

There is no mention about drilling masonry in the instructions, so I
am thinking there is no hammer action.

Finally, Wickes sell this as a "high torque" drill. I see they also
sell a corded "very high torque" drill. Does anyone know what's so
special about that one?

Yes, I have a mains one. Its a turbo nutter of a drill. Incredible
power. I use it as a mixer and for putting 10mm coach bolts in and for
large holes with auger bits. No clutch, just a side handle 18" long that
you hang on to like grim death!

I find using a 1000w SDS with hammer off and running slowly has masses of
torque. I wouldn't use one to mix cement though. Cheap drills are
available specifically for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
mike wrote:
In article , "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

For the price and occassional use the Silverline may be worth it. 3 yr
guarantee so easy to get your money back.

It's about 30 quid on eBay isn't it? Then a tenner for postage. Then a
tenner for postage to send it back if it goes wrong, and it starts
looking a bit more expensive.

But what they ask for, which is basically an angle grinder body is
ludicrous.

Agree. It's a shame there aren't other OEMs making decent angle drills.

How about one for nothing?

https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx

One hell of a good deal. Worth it for the angle drill alone and ditch the
drill/driver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

One aside though I think this thread started or developed as a requirement
to drill 25mm
in a joist with an angled drill. This 12V Makita only has a 10mm chuck
and won't take a 25mm auger which I doubt it could drive anyway without
cooking, which the batteries are capable of doing. The angled body is less
capable still.

A mains angle drill can do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sorry to reply to my own post but I just wanted to say:

I couldn't find a hammer action switch on the 18v display model but I
didn't look too closely because I wasn't buying that.

There is no mention about drilling masonry in the instructions, so I
am thinking there is no hammer action.

Finally, Wickes sell this as a "high torque" drill. I see they also
sell a corded "very high torque" drill. Does anyone know what's so
special about that one?

Bosch made a mains drill/driver. I'm not sure if it is still made. I
prefer mains drills.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:

One aside though I think this thread started or developed as a requirement
to drill 25mm
in a joist with an angled drill. This 12V Makita only has a 10mm chuck and
won't take a 25mm auger which I doubt it could drive anyway without cooking,
which the batteries are capable of doing. The angled body is less capable
still.

You might be right about an auger - not used them in my angle drill, so
can't really comment on how well it copes. However if all you want is a
big hole, a spade bit will do it. I have the 14.4V DeWalt angle drill
which will spin a 25mm spade bit without any difficulty, and it will do
32mm as well. So I can't see the Mak having that much problem. It will
take it a bit longer since it does not have the second gear of the
DeWalt, but can match it for torque.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jim Alexander wrote:

One aside though I think this thread started or developed as a
requirement to drill 25mm
in a joist with an angled drill. This 12V Makita only has a 10mm chuck
and won't take a 25mm auger which I doubt it could drive anyway without
cooking, which the batteries are capable of doing. The angled body is
less capable still.

You might be right about an auger - not used them in my angle drill, can't
really comment on how well it copes. However if all you want is a big
hole, a spade bit will do it. I have the 14.4V DeWalt angle drill which
will spin a 25mm spade bit without any difficulty, and it will do 32mm as
well. So I can't see the Mak having that much problem.

Thinking back to previous job it was probably boring a joist with a 25mm cut
down spade which threatened to cook the drill. I note its just within the
drill spec so perhaps my spade was getting blunt.

It will take it a bit longer since it does not have the second gear of the
DeWalt, but can match it for torque.

I very much doubt the 12V angled-drill will turn a 25mm spade ( and the 12mm
in wood spec doesn't claim so) as typically a Makita angled drill torque is
much less than the equivalent voltage drill driver, 44 to 310 in funny units
for a current USA market product.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:31:45 GMT, mike wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it not having hammer action. If you want to
drill into anything other than lightweight blocks, you're better off
with an SDS anyway and they're cheap enough these days.

Thanks for the reassurance. If I need hammer action I agree I can use
my corded drill, or like you say use sds. I bought a cheap sds from
Screwfix and was amazed at the difference but I haven't got a
collection of sds bits yet. The thing is that both of these other
drills are corded which isn't a big problem but I'm lazy and it saves
carrying an extension lead! Also why buy a toy with two options when
you could buy one with three

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:35:02 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Wickes need top be told about this drill and what it does and that they
should push its functions. It is a shame this drill will now be taken out
of the UK.

Posted letter saying the same to Wickes yesterday
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:33:22 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx

One hell of a good deal. Worth it for the angle drill alone and ditch the
drill/driver.

Save that they are quoting a maximum in wood of 12mm and manufacturer's
claims tend to be optimistic. This size of hole would be just about OK
for 1 2.5 T&E

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:33:22 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx

One hell of a good deal. Worth it for the angle drill alone and ditch the
drill/driver.

Save that they are quoting a maximum in wood of 12mm and manufacturer's
claims tend to be optimistic. This size of hole would be just about OK
for 1 2.5 T&E

That is the case. That is why mains angle drills are better. The
Kress/Wickes I'm sure will sail through a joist with 25mm , or above, drill
bit in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:36:27 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

Thinking back to previous job it was probably boring a joist with a 25mm cut
down spade which threatened to cook the drill. I note its just within the
drill spec so perhaps my spade was getting blunt.

How do you "cook" a drill? Does the motor get damaged if you stall it
cutting a bigger hole that it can cope with?

By the way, what, if any, bits come with the Wickes drill. Mine had
just one pozi drive screw bit. I can't see the point including just
that, surely they should I put in a set or nothing at all?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Fred
saying something like:

How do you "cook" a drill?

Most obviously, just mechanical overload and reduced speed leading to
overheated windings as less air is fanned through.

Does the motor get damaged if you stall it
cutting a bigger hole that it can cope with?

You can also bugger up the windings if you stall it by having the
armature current passing through one winding for too long.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:33:22 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx

One hell of a good deal. Worth it for the angle drill alone and
ditch the drill/driver.

Even better, keep the drill driver. Excellent bit of kit.

Save that they are quoting a maximum in wood of 12mm and
manufacturer's claims tend to be optimistic. This size of hole would
be just about OK for 1 2.5 T&E

I've always found Makita punches well above its weight. That 12v will
easily drill more than 12mm in wood.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thinking back to previous job it was probably boring a joist with a 25mm
cut
down spade which threatened to cook the drill. I note its just within the
drill spec so perhaps my spade was getting blunt.

How do you "cook" a drill? Does the motor get damaged if you stall it
cutting a bigger hole that it can cope with?

Stalling is not a problem, you just release, however how much labouring
short of stalling you accept is more a matter of judgement clouded by
wanting to get the job done. I realised the 12V Makita was underpowered
for the task but its what I had. If you are lucky you will smell burning.
If you are very lucky there will
be no lasting damage. I think I was very lucky. From a design point of
view the 12V Makita batteries are better than the motor unlike my cheapo
Lidl 18V where the excellent motor was let down by poor batteries. I don't
think you will have a problem with your 15.6V drill drilling 25mm in timber.

By the way, what, if any, bits come with the Wickes drill. Mine had
just one pozi drive screw bit. I can't see the point including just
that, surely they should I put in a set or nothing at all?

Not got the Wickes drill so no idea. If your Wickes drill has a 13mm chuck
buy yourself a set of stubby augers, Toolstation 59839 or similar. Much
better than spade bits for drilling joists. Then treat yourself to a screw
bit set at the same time.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:33:22 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...rill-Body.aspx
One hell of a good deal. Worth it for the angle drill alone and
ditch the drill/driver.

Even better, keep the drill driver. Excellent bit of kit.
Save that they are quoting a maximum in wood of 12mm and
manufacturer's claims tend to be optimistic. This size of hole would
be just about OK for 1 2.5 T&E

I've always found Makita punches well above its weight. That 12v will
easily drill more than 12mm in wood.

I would be surprised if it didn't... my old 9.6V (or for that matter my
first 7.2V cordless) could drill a hole with a 19mm spade bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

mike wrote:

Agree. It's a shame there aren't other OEMs making decent angle drills.

How about one for nothing?

https://tools4trade.com/d-141015-Mak...-Driver----Fre
e-Makita-DA312DZ-Angle-Drill-Body.aspx

Thanks for the link. Looks like a contender.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Jim Alexander wrote:

One aside though I think this thread started or developed as a requirement
to drill 25mm
in a joist with an angled drill.

You might be right about an auger - not used them in my angle drill, so
can't really comment on how well it copes. However if all you want is a
big hole, a spade bit will do it.

Having used augers and spades, the difference is like that between SDS
and ordinary hammer drill. Is there any situation where a spade bit it
better?

Medway Arthur UK diy 52 May 3rd 07 08:26 AM
Att Medway Handyman Steve Walker UK diy 1 March 26th 07 11:55 PM
Medway Handy Van The Medway Handyman UK diy 31 February 13th 07 11:00 PM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
Kress repair where? Persheen UK diy 22 March 12th 05 10:55 PM