Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking washing machine

Our AEG Favorit washing machine decided to leak last weekend - when I
was away so I have no clues as to whereabouts the water came from.

SWMBO attended to the pool of water and reverted to our spare washing
machine. The only clue may be that it had failed to completely dry a
load of washing.

As it is built in, and no doubt painful to extract from it's housing,
I'm seeking a few tips as to what to look for rather than definitive
diagnosis (at this point).

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
news
Our AEG Favorit washing machine decided to leak last weekend - when I was
away so I have no clues as to whereabouts the water came from.

SWMBO attended to the pool of water and reverted to our spare washing
machine. The only clue may be that it had failed to completely dry a load
of washing.

As it is built in, and no doubt painful to extract from it's housing, I'm
seeking a few tips as to what to look for rather than definitive diagnosis
(at this point).

TIA

Richard

You really need to run it and see.

Obvious candidates are the door seal ( visual inspection ), and the outlet
plumbing / pump etc.

If visual inspection of the door seal reveals nothing, then you're going to
have to drag it out and take the top off. You may or may not see anything
from there.

I've had some success by horsing the machine up onto a pair of joiner's saw
workbenches and running it empty whilst observing from underneath.

Then proceed according to what you see.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:05:05 UTC, Richard wrote:

Our AEG Favorit washing machine decided to leak last weekend - when I
was away so I have no clues as to whereabouts the water came from.

SWMBO attended to the pool of water and reverted to our spare washing
machine. The only clue may be that it had failed to completely dry a
load of washing.

As it is built in, and no doubt painful to extract from it's housing,
I'm seeking a few tips as to what to look for rather than definitive
diagnosis (at this point).

Apart from inlet and outlet hoses, and the door seal, not much you can
do without getting it out.

Put some newspaper underneath and watch carefully. At least you'll know
where the water exited even if it ran down something.

The other clue is whereabouts in the cycle it occurs. At the start: look
at the inlet hoses and the connection between the soap drawer and the
tub. Does it only happen if (say) intensive rinse is selected? Does it
leak on pump-out?
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
Does it
leak on pump-out?

SWMBO wasn't able to tell me - she came downstairs to a pool of water.

Possible culprit may have been a blocked fluff filter.

Only Saturday will tell :-(

Ta

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:04:20 UTC, Richard wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
Does it
leak on pump-out?

SWMBO wasn't able to tell me - she came downstairs to a pool of water.

I was thinking more of when you conduct the inevitable tests...
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
Does it
leak on pump-out?

SWMBO wasn't able to tell me - she came downstairs to a pool of water.

I was thinking more of when you conduct the inevitable tests...

Sorry Bob

I meant that too, except that I was hoping to circumvent the need for
testing too thoroughly IYSWIM!

Rgds

Richard

Leaking Washing Machine George Home Repair 1 July 4th 06 06:42 PM
Kenmore washing machine leaking... Don Home Repair 1 November 18th 05 12:05 AM
Washing machine fittings leaking JM UK diy 11 October 25th 04 07:56 PM
leaking washing machine ron UK diy 3 July 9th 04 04:19 PM
Leaking Washing Machine Drum Phil Young UK diy 10 October 7th 03 05:05 PM