Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default History of UK DIY?

As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all start?

Who got it off the ground in the first place?

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Just interested.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all start?

Who got it off the ground in the first place?

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Just interested.

I'm assuming it's Usenet that you mean and not the single group uk.d-i-y.
The individual groups are all part of Usenet - some general background info
here http://tldp.org/LDP/nag/node256.html
The FAQ for uk.d-i-y can be found here http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all start?

Don't know, but I presume it predates the "correct" mechanism for
creating uk groups:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html#guidelines

since we don't have a charter.

Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Usenet itself does - by a long margin (predates HTTP). This group looks
like it was created at the end of '94 if google's archive is to be believed:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I always assumed it was Matthew Marks.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all start?

Don't know, but I presume it predates the "correct" mechanism for
creating uk groups:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html#guidelines

since we don't have a charter.

Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Usenet itself does - by a long margin (predates HTTP). This group looks
like it was created at the end of '94 if google's archive is to be believed:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

The first recorded posting is dated 5/12/94 but I suspect that google
doesn't have anything like a complete archive. IIRC the archive in those
days was deja but deja went to the wall and some time later google got
its hands on dejas archive but as published it is certainly not
complete. Some of my early contributions are missing.

I would have posted first to rec.walking but there is nothing there from
me prior to December 1996 while my first recorded post in this ng is 20
April 1996 and I don't think that was my first. My first payment to
Zetnet appears to have been in March 1996.

Incidentally Ed Sirett was a very early contributor. Perhaps his memory
for long past events is better than mine.

Posted in rec.walking 11/10/95

"Its taken since April to get this group up and working and it is the
first group to to be created on uk.* to the new rules. Can I thank
all those who took part, all those who voted, but especially Mark
Alexander who organised the voting."

Which dates the 'new rules' fairly closely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I always assumed it was Matthew Marks.

Actually... 'twas I.

Must have been early-mid 90s - it predates the google archive a bit. It
was certainly before the WWW and commercial internet took off, and I
remember accessing it via a university mainframe.

I was spending a lot of time doing up my then home, and looking for
online advice: at the time there was a reasonable amount of diy-type
traffic buried amongst the rubbish in uk.misc (there were no other
related newsgroups at all). I floated the idea of forming a separate
diy newsgroup which curried some support, so I looked into how to do it.

I can't remember exactly the then "procedure" was back then - certainly
it was pretty minimal - but I remember having to identify some official
Important Bloke in the uk usenet heirachy and emailing him; consequently
I think an RFD was posted somewhere to which a small handful of people
responded with 'yeah good idea', and a couple of weeks later the
Important Bloke set up uk.d-i-y.

ISTR back then there was only a very small handful of uk newsgroups, and
certainly no heirarchical structure, which is how uk.d-i-y came to exist
as a top-level group. As for the hyphenated group name which quite a
lot of people have slagged off over the years; mea culpa I think - it
was for no particular reason other than to delineate the letters as an
abbreviation without introducing full stops.

Little did I imagine that 15 years later.... etc etc etc

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

Usenet itself does - by a long margin (predates HTTP). This group looks
like it was created at the end of '94 if google's archive is to be believed:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

The first recorded posting is dated 5/12/94 but I suspect that google
doesn't have anything like a complete archive. IIRC the archive in those
days was deja but deja went to the wall and some time later google got
its hands on dejas archive but as published it is certainly not
complete. Some of my early contributions are missing.

I think when Google bought the archive from Deja they only got about six
years worth. I remember many of my first usenet posts in '95 ish were
not included to start with. Over the following couple of years though
they sought to repopulate the archive using whatever sources they could
find, including CD ROM compendia etc and much of the oldest material did
reappear - but not for all groups - and certainly not for all the groups
outside the traditional usenet hierarchies (comp, rec, sci etc).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 9:19*am, John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all start?

Don't know, but I presume it predates the "correct" mechanism for
creating uk groups:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/guidelines.html#guidelines

since we don't have a charter.

Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Usenet itself does - by a long margin (predates HTTP). This group looks
like it was created at the end of '94 if google's archive is to be believed:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

LOL. Looking at the first archived post for '95, nothing has changed.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from "Man at B&Q" contains these words:

LOL. Looking at the first archived post for '95, nothing has changed.

Oh yes it has. Dribble (or Adam as he was then) didn't arrive on the
scene until much later. 2000 at a guess but it might have been even
later.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all
start?
Who got it off the ground in the first place?

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Just interested.

The start was ARPA Net (Advanced research Projects Agency Network) around
1969 that consisted of four universities that were 'linked' to form a
network (University of California - Santa Barbara, Stanford Research
Institute, University of Utah and the University of California - Los
Angeles) and started the basic fledgling FORUM group.

And yes, it pre-dates Yahoo by a long way *and* several operating systems -
even before Mark Andreessen's Mosaic OS (co-author) and the Netscape
Navigator that AOL have finally killed off.

This little nugget was taken from a college assignment that I did during a
two year full time BTEC college course that I undertook after taking early
retirement around that time - ah, the memories of a lecturer informing the
class that they could only use books and not the net to gather the
information (b*****d it was too at the time).

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BRG wrote:

And yes, it pre-dates Yahoo by a long way *and* several operating systems -
even before Mark Andreessen's Mosaic OS (co-author) and the Netscape
Navigator that AOL have finally killed off.

When did Netscape navigator get killed off? I only down loaded version 9
a few months ago.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2008 19:15, Dave wrote:

When did Netscape navigator get killed off?

The actual deed was done 1st march, but announced months back

I only down loaded version 9 a few months ago.

Hopefully it's dead for good this time, switch to seamonkey if you want
integrated web/mail/news or firefox for a separate browser with
thunderbird if you want separate mail/news.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Mar 5, 1:08*pm, John Rumm wrote:
Roger wrote:
[...]

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Out of interest when did Deja sell out to Google?
Thanks
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"al" wrote in message

Out of interest when did Deja sell out to Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

(I obviously imagined it being sold to IBM at some point)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

On 05/03/2008 19:15, Dave wrote:

When did Netscape navigator get killed off?

The actual deed was done 1st march, but announced months back

I only down loaded version 9 a few months ago.

Hopefully it's dead for good this time, switch to seamonkey if you want
integrated web/mail/news or firefox for a separate browser with
thunderbird if you want separate mail/news.

Noted, printed and stored.

Thanks

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
BRG wrote:

And yes, it pre-dates Yahoo by a long way *and* several operating
systems - even before Mark Andreessen's Mosaic OS (co-author) and
the Netscape Navigator that AOL have finally killed off.

When did Netscape navigator get killed off? I only down loaded
version 9 a few months ago.

Dave

The owners of it, AO-Hell, killed it off last month - no further updates are
being considered.

BRG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On Mar 5, 7:57*pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"al" wrote in message

Out of interest when did Deja sell out to Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_News

(I obviously imagined it being sold to IBM at some point)

cheers,
clive

Thanks for taking time to reply.
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
As a relative newbie to this group, I was wondering, how did it all start?

Who got it off the ground in the first place?

I understand it pre dates e- groups like Yahoo?

Just interested.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Well I believe I was one of the very first posters on uk.d-i-y

The oldest post of mine I can find is inferred he
http://tinyurl.com/2jmme8 in Jan 1996 in the name david hearn, about mice.
We got cats and they (the cats) are still alive.

......but the original post is missing from Google, curiously.

I clearly recall making a post entitled "how about this for openers" the day
that uk.d-i-y appeared on demon's news server which must have been some time
in 1994. I wanted to source courtrai green roof tiles.

I suspect the post still probably exists on an ancient Macintosh that is
still in my loft. If and when I find it I will know.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

I clearly remember the first time I experienced "the web" which must have
been in spring 1994, using the client program "MacWeb" in the back room of
our old house. Amazing.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I always assumed it was Matthew Marks.

Matthew Marks was definitely in charge when I first spammed the group

He crossed swords with some troll who threatened to cause all sorts of
problems for him because he was posting from a BBC address

Following that he left because he needed more time for his DIY

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:55:37 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Who got it off the ground in the first place?

Don't know... John S was about then, he might...

I always assumed it was Matthew Marks.

Actually... 'twas I.

Must have been early-mid 90s - it predates the google archive a bit. It
was certainly before the WWW and commercial internet took off, and I
remember accessing it via a university mainframe.

In 1990 I was posting diy messages on uk.misc via a university
mainframe. I remember being really chuffed to get a response from
someone in the next door department

In 1991 I went to another job and didnt get regular internet access
again until 1993/4 and discovered that uk.d-i-y had appeared in the
meantime

Anna
--

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
BRG wrote:

The start was ARPA Net (Advanced research Projects Agency Network) around
1969 that consisted of four universities that were 'linked' to form a
network (University of California - Santa Barbara, Stanford Research
Institute, University of Utah and the University of California - Los
Angeles) and started the basic fledgling FORUM group.

For anyone interested in the origins of the internet as we know (and love)
then I recommend a read of

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Wizard.../dp/0743468376

Great book....and explains why I have to be at work early on tuesdays

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
writes
Incidentally Ed Sirett was a very early contributor. Perhaps his memory
for long past events is better than mine.

Posted in rec.walking 11/10/95

So can anyone find my first post?

it would have been as and it was spam

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Roger
writes
Incidentally Ed Sirett was a very early contributor. Perhaps his memory
for long past events is better than mine.

Posted in rec.walking 11/10/95

So can anyone find my first post?

it would have been as and it was spam

How about:

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.c...9da8dc4af72a71

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-05 22:24:43 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Roger
writes
Incidentally Ed Sirett was a very early contributor. Perhaps his memory
for long past events is better than mine.

Posted in rec.walking 11/10/95

So can anyone find my first post?

it would have been as and it was spam

Did you get into trouble?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Roger
writes
Incidentally Ed Sirett was a very early contributor. Perhaps his memory
for long past events is better than mine.

Posted in rec.walking 11/10/95

So can anyone find my first post?
it would have been as and it was spam

How about:

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.c...e_frm/thread/f
cb4ccceea186d09/0c9da8dc4af72a71?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#0c9da8dc4af72a71

cor - don't remember that

I really meant in uk.d-i-y

I know I spammed the group and got well flamed for it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

So can anyone find my first post?
it would have been as and it was spam

How about:

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.c...e_frm/thread/f
cb4ccceea186d09/0c9da8dc4af72a71?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#0c9da8dc4af72a71

cor - don't remember that

I really meant in uk.d-i-y

I know I spammed the group and got well flamed for it

Closest I could see is:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...cedc971f5687d7

This is probably the most useful entry page:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...iTxsohY2WCyEBQ

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 47cf3656@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
On 2008-03-05 22:24:43 +0000, geoff said:

In message , Roger
writes
Incidentally Ed Sirett was a very early contributor. Perhaps his memory
for long past events is better than mine.
Posted in rec.walking 11/10/95

So can anyone find my first post?
it would have been as and it was spam

Did you get into trouble?

I got flamed and threatened (by Matthew) IIRC

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
geoff wrote:

So can anyone find my first post?
it would have been as and it was spam

How about:

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.c...e_frm/thread/f
cb4ccceea186d09/0c9da8dc4af72a71?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#0c9da8dc4af72a71

cor - don't remember that
I really meant in uk.d-i-y
I know I spammed the group and got well flamed for it

Closest I could see is:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...d8d08edb4d7e6b
f4/7ccedc971f5687d7?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#7ccedc971f5687d7

This is probably the most useful entry page:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...qZxgAAAD7BciWR
7SVDryPznJCW8TdTE1ck5LHiTxsohY2WCyEBQ

Looks useful there -

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 00:44:10 UTC, geoff wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...qZxgAAAD7BciWR
7SVDryPznJCW8TdTE1ck5LHiTxsohY2WCyEBQ

Looks useful there -

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

Newcomer!

http://tinyurl.com/2ggkgh

(I'm sure someone else will have an even earlier one; I would if it had
been kept)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 00:44:10 UTC, geoff wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...qZxgAAAD7BciWR
7SVDryPznJCW8TdTE1ck5LHiTxsohY2WCyEBQ

Looks useful there -

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

Newcomer!

http://tinyurl.com/2ggkgh

(I'm sure someone else will have an even earlier one; I would if it had
been kept)

cor (new word that). what an old fogey ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 00:44:10 UTC, geoff wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...qZxgAAAD7BciWR
7SVDryPznJCW8TdTE1ck5LHiTxsohY2WCyEBQ

Looks useful there -

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

Newcomer!

http://tinyurl.com/2ggkgh

Cor, the year after I left school ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 01:23:30 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 00:44:10 UTC, geoff wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...qZxgAAAD7BciWR
7SVDryPznJCW8TdTE1ck5LHiTxsohY2WCyEBQ

Looks useful there -

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

Newcomer!

http://tinyurl.com/2ggkgh

Cor, the year after I left school ;-)

Oops, found one for when you were at school!

http://tinyurl.com/22ty8d

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

This is probably the most useful entry page:

http://groups.google.com/groups/prof...qZxgAAAD7BciWR
7SVDryPznJCW8TdTE1ck5LHiTxsohY2WCyEBQ

Looks useful there -

Still Roger found the original post - 10 years, eh ?

One could waste a lifetime talking to you lot!

(oldest post of mine I can find is Mar 95 which is probably close to
when I first got a demon account)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Cor, the year after I left school ;-)

Oops, found one for when you were at school!

http://tinyurl.com/22ty8d

A blast from the past... my Internode ltd co-director for wrote a BCPL
compiler many years ago (in basic on an Atari 800). It worked but was
rather slow, so he then re-wrote it in BCPL and used it to compile
itself etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
Roger wrote:

Usenet itself does - by a long margin (predates HTTP). This group looks

It predates the Internet, and had a much wider spread than
the early Internet. We used to get some groups on a dialup
uucp feed in the early 1980s, which was the main transport
for Usenet at the time, but a good number of the Usenet links
around the world then were were magtapes sent in the post.

like it was created at the end of '94 if google's archive is to be believed:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

The first recorded posting is dated 5/12/94 but I suspect that google
doesn't have anything like a complete archive. IIRC the archive in those
days was deja but deja went to the wall and some time later google got
its hands on dejas archive but as published it is certainly not
complete. Some of my early contributions are missing.

I think when Google bought the archive from Deja they only got about six
years worth. I remember many of my first usenet posts in '95 ish were

Deja had been falling apart prior to Google taking over the
archive and in the final month or so, it couldn't search back
more than around a 6 months to a year. I started archiving
uk.d-i-y at that time, thinking that it might otherwise all
get lost. I stopped when Google got the archive back up working.

not included to start with. Over the following couple of years though
they sought to repopulate the archive using whatever sources they could
find, including CD ROM compendia etc and much of the oldest material did
reappear - but not for all groups - and certainly not for all the groups
outside the traditional usenet hierarchies (comp, rec, sci etc).

I sent them some archives which I had dating back to something
like 1993, but they were sparse (it was a newspool which was
being accidently archived occasionally). I think uk.telecom
would have been the main uk group in my archive (and several
non-uk groups).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger writes:
The message

from "Man at B&Q" contains these words:

LOL. Looking at the first archived post for '95, nothing has changed.

Oh yes it has. Dribble (or Adam as he was then) didn't arrive on the
scene until much later. 2000 at a guess but it might have been even
later.

He started off as John Burns-Curtis.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Roger writes:
The message

from "Man at B&Q" contains these words:

LOL. Looking at the first archived post for '95, nothing has changed.

Oh yes it has. Dribble (or Adam as he was then) didn't arrive on the
scene until much later. 2000 at a guess but it might have been even
later.

He started off as John Burns-Curtis.

I suppose with a moniker like that Adam sounds quite reasonable.

--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:13:20 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Cor, the year after I left school ;-)

Oops, found one for when you were at school!

http://tinyurl.com/22ty8d

A blast from the past... my Internode ltd co-director for wrote a BCPL
compiler many years ago (in basic on an Atari 800). It worked but was
rather slow, so he then re-wrote it in BCPL and used it to compile
itself etc.

IME that's the "normal" way to write compilers.

M.