Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

Default History of UK DIY?

On Mar 5, 1:08*pm, John Rumm wrote:
Roger wrote:
Usenet itself does - by a long margin (predates HTTP). This group looks
like it was created at the end of '94 if google's archive is to be believed:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-i-y/about?hl=en

The first recorded posting is dated 5/12/94 but I suspect that google
doesn't have anything like a complete archive. IIRC the archive in those
days was deja but deja went to the wall and some time later google got
its hands on dejas archive but as published it is certainly not
complete. Some of my early contributions are missing.

I think when Google bought the archive from Deja they only got about six
years worth. I remember many of my first usenet posts in '95 ish were
not included to start with. Over the following couple of years though
they sought to repopulate the archive using whatever sources they could
find, including CD ROM compendia etc and much of the oldest material did
reappear - but not for all groups - and certainly not for all the groups
outside the traditional usenet hierarchies (comp, rec, sci etc).

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Out of interest when did Deja sell out to Google?
Thanks
Al