Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New screw holes don't align

I am replacing all the brass door furniture throughout the house with satin
nickel. The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer screw holes don't
100% match the original. What are my options to ensure the hinges are fixed
securely?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:51:48 -0000, diy-newby wrote:

The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer screw holes don't
100% match the original. What are my options to ensure the hinges are
fixed securely?

How far out are the holes? Will the screws pull tight and the heads not be
wonky? If so no problem...

Otherwise it's packing the old holes with small match stick sized bits of
wood and glue. Remember the hole left a by wood screw is tapered so a
sinle match gently tapped in will fill the bottom of the hole but require
more around the top.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
LSR LSR is offline

diy-newby wrote:
I am replacing all the brass door furniture throughout the house with
satin nickel. The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer
screw holes don't 100% match the original. What are my options to
ensure the hinges are fixed securely?

TIA

Pack the old screw holes with matchsticks.

--
LSR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 09:37, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 08:51:48 -0000, diy-newby wrote:
The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer screw holes don't
100% match the original. *What are my options to ensure the hinges are
fixed securely?

How far out are the holes? Will the screws pull tight and the heads not be
wonky? If so no problem...

Otherwise it's packing the old holes with small match stick sized bits of
wood and glue. Remember the hole left a by wood screw is tapered so a
sinle match gently tapped in will fill the bottom of the hole but require
more around the top.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I'm glad its not just me that does that!! Are matchsticks /
matchstick sized pieces of wood the filler of choice of professionals
for these sorts of holes? I've never had a problem with it, but just
curious if I'm doing things right or wrong!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

diy-newby wrote:

I am replacing all the brass door furniture throughout the house with
satin nickel. The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer
screw holes don't 100% match the original. What are my options to
ensure the hinges are fixed securely?

TIA

Presumably the holes are in *nearly* the same place, but not quite - so that
the old and new holes would partially overlap?

I would be inclined to drill out the old holes to (say) 1/4" and then glue
some 1/4" dowelling in the enlarged holes. You will then have something firm
to which to screw the new hinges.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
diy-newby wrote:

I am replacing all the brass door furniture throughout the house with
satin nickel. The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer
screw holes don't 100% match the original. What are my options to
ensure the hinges are fixed securely?

TIA

Presumably the holes are in *nearly* the same place, but not quite - so
that the old and new holes would partially overlap?

I would be inclined to drill out the old holes to (say) 1/4" and then glue
some 1/4" dowelling in the enlarged holes. You will then have something
firm to which to screw the new hinges.
--
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Thanks all who replied. I did think about matchsticks and glue, just wasn't
sure if that was the correct thing to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , diy-newby wrote:

Thanks all who replied. I did think about matchsticks and glue, just
wasn't sure if that was the correct thing to do.

It's the traditional way. ;-)

I'd use a self centering bit to drill the pilot holes - a help if the
old ones are close to the new.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a snag with plugging the holes with dowel or matchsticks. If
the new screw holes are going to run into, or even partly into, the
wood you are effectively screwing into end grain.
The perfect solution is to enlarge the holes to, say, 1/2" and glue in
a plug cut using a proper plug cutter. I've repaired a number of worn
hinge screw holes that way before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 09:38, "LSR" wrote:

Pack the old screw holes with matchsticks.

Pack the old holes with split bamboo chopsticks. They're easier to
split than matchsticks, and they're harder and thus give a better
grip. These are doors we're talking about here, not just cuphooks.

I've a big pile of old (recycled from Budokan) chopsticks in the
workshop - they get used for everything from gluesticks to dowel pegs.
For coopered chests like this, I'd be there all day if I had to make
dowels too.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/boxes/sarah/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 wrote:
There is a snag with plugging the holes with dowel or matchsticks. If
the new screw holes are going to run into, or even partly into, the
wood you are effectively screwing into end grain.

Why would that be a problem? Thousands of door frames, skirtings etc have
been fixed that way in the past - it was standard practice.

The perfect solution is to enlarge the holes to, say, 1/2" and glue in
a plug cut using a proper plug cutter. I've repaired a number of worn
hinge screw holes that way before.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 20:17, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Why would that be a problem? *Thousands of door frames, skirtings etc have
been fixed that way in the past - it was standard practice.

I'm not saying screwing into end grain won't work, but I've found from
practical experience the holding power with ordinary screws in end-
grain is usually sh*t compared to cross-grain. Admitedly some of these
fancy multi-start poxy-drive screws may be OK.

Go on call me a luddite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why would that be a problem? Thousands of door frames, skirtings etc
have been fixed that way in the past - it was standard practice.

I'm not saying screwing into end grain won't work, but I've found from
practical experience the holding power with ordinary screws in end-
grain is usually sh*t compared to cross-grain. Admitedly some of these
fancy multi-start poxy-drive screws may be OK.

Go on call me a luddite.

OK, you're a ........

:-)

Ah, but the end grain is confined by the hole around it. I use 4mm dowels
(when I can find the buggers, no one seems to stock them anymore). Perfect
fit for No 8 screws. Hammer it in, the taper starts it off, then use a
Turbo Gold screw.

Easier to get a sailor off your sister than shift that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"LSR" wrote in message
diy-newby wrote:
I am replacing all the brass door furniture throughout the house with
satin nickel. The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer
screw holes don't 100% match the original. What are my options to
ensure the hinges are fixed securely?

TIA

Pack the old screw holes with matchsticks.

--
LSR

Re align the hole with a small drill bit and use a longer screw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
diy-newby wrote:

I am replacing all the brass door furniture throughout the house with
satin nickel. The hinges are the same size (75mm) but the outer
screw holes don't 100% match the original. What are my options to
ensure the hinges are fixed securely?

TIA

Presumably the holes are in *nearly* the same place, but not quite - so that
the old and new holes would partially overlap?

I would be inclined to drill out the old holes to (say) 1/4" and then glue
some 1/4" dowelling in the enlarged holes. You will then have something firm
to which to screw the new hinges.

now, where's my poster of screws with two threads, offsets etc ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:17:26 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

1501 wrote:
There is a snag with plugging the holes with dowel or matchsticks. If
the new screw holes are going to run into, or even partly into, the
wood you are effectively screwing into end grain.

Why would that be a problem? Thousands of door frames, skirtings etc have
been fixed that way in the past - it was standard practice.

The only possible snag with matchsticks is that they're (or were)
often dipped in wax, which might stop the glue working properly.

--
Frank Erskine