Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A funny thing happened to me on the way to Norwich...

geoff wrote:
In message , Steve Firth
writes
Appin wrote:

The message
from (Steve Firth) contains these words:

Appin wrote:

Words like "****e" don't
even begin to describe how ****ty Land Rovers are as work
vehicles. Fine
for anyone who wants a toy, bloody useless otherwise.

Hopefully their owners are a bit more civilised in their language
than
those two sentences.

Hopefully you'll **** off and realise that an absence of swearing
does
not make someone "civilised", you censorious ****.

I did not suggest that it did.

These expressions don't amount to swearing -- rather they involve the
gratuitous use of offensive language.

Oh dear colour me concerned. No hang on, I don't give a **** for what
you "think".

The riteous are taking over

I suspect you neant righteous, but who knows?

I suspect you meant "meant" )

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...dimensions.htm

So they don't bother to quote kerb weight anymore. Very misleading. One
doesn't routinely drive around with a ton of hardcore in the back even
in a Land Rover.

Eh? They quote GVW and KW on that site. Try the 'Capabilities' link on
the left...

It was late and I just scrolled down the link wondering where the hell
the information on weight was. Now if the link had been to capabilities
rather than specifications I might have noticed the other information.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:16:41 UTC, Roger
wrote:

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...dimensions.htm

So they don't bother to quote kerb weight anymore. Very misleading. One
doesn't routinely drive around with a ton of hardcore in the back even
in a Land Rover.

Eh? They quote GVW and KW on that site. Try the 'Capabilities' link on
the left...

It was late and I just scrolled down the link wondering where the hell
the information on weight was. Now if the link had been to capabilities
rather than specifications I might have noticed the other information.

'Capabilities' is a strange heading for something like GVW anyway!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes

These expressions don't amount to swearing -- rather they involve the
gratuitous use of offensive language.

Oh dear colour me concerned. No hang on, I don't give a **** for what
you "think".

The riteous are taking over

I suspect you neant righteous, but who knows?

I certainly did

How did I get that wrong ?

(on diet, off the **** ATM - no excuse)

I suspect you meant "meant" as well ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Roger wrote:
The message
from Appin contains these words:

Really? Perhaps I've misunderstood the spec. but it looks like 3050Kg
to me. Where do you get your figures?

Perhaps you have. Looking at a manual I have for a early 80s Range Rover
the specification there gives the "Gross vehicle weight" as 2504 kg but
that is made up of kerb weight of 1723 kg plus maximum vehicle payload
of 780 kg.

I would be amazed if the modern Defender weighed in at nearly twice the
weight of a 25 year old Range Rover.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehic...dimensions.htm

So they don't bother to quote kerb weight anymore. Very misleading. One
doesn't routinely drive around with a ton of hardcore in the back even
in a Land Rover.

They do quote payload.

Frankly most people who buy a defender want to know 'how much will it
carry and tow' not 'what does it weigh empty'

It hardly a chelsea tractor is it?

Ideal town vehicle. Exempt from London Congestion Charge (on request).
Can use bus lanes (12 seats, after all)!

Fitted with tree sliders is immune from parking dents. In fact when you
slide into a parking bay next to a car with a driver inside, the other
car very often edges off sharpish :-).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yep, thats max all up weight allowed, and it states elsewhere it has a
payload of 1524 kg. So its about a two tons less a bit, empty.

I do seem to have that wrong. So you can have a "riteous" glow all evening.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yep, thats max all up weight allowed, and it states elsewhere it has a
payload of 1524 kg. So its about a two tons less a bit, empty.

I do seem to have that wrong. So you can have a "riteous" glow all
evening.

Andy

Not big deal, just putting the record straight. A 3.5 ton truck is IIRC
the largest you can drive on a standard license. And its no mean beast
either..next step up from a luton bodied transit...not sure if thats
carrying capacity tho.

My bloody camper tho..that feels like 3.5 tons allright.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yep, thats max all up weight allowed, and it states elsewhere it has a
payload of 1524 kg. So its about a two tons less a bit, empty.

I do seem to have that wrong. So you can have a "riteous" glow all
evening.

Andy

Not big deal, just putting the record straight. A 3.5 ton truck is IIRC
the largest you can drive on a standard license. And its no mean beast
either..next step up from a luton bodied transit...not sure if thats
carrying capacity tho.

7.5 tonne actually. There is usually an age restriction on hiring such
vehicles though (eg minimum age 27 for Rabbit vehicle hire 7.5 tonne
trucks). "C1" on the licence covers up to 7.5 tonne. I don't know, and
didn't check when I had one recently, but I suspect that that is 7.5 tonne
GVW, so a lot less empty.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Mannix" writes:

Not big deal, just putting the record straight. A 3.5 ton truck is IIRC
the largest you can drive on a standard license. And its no mean beast
either..next step up from a luton bodied transit...not sure if thats
carrying capacity tho.

7.5 tonne actually.

Depends when you took your driving test. Mine is 7.5 tonnes,
but ISTR it reduced sometime later, but not retrospectively.
It can also reduce if you get a new licence -- you can have
it changed back if you notice quickly, but not after they've
destroyed the original paper copy you sent in, which they do
some weeks after sending out the new licence.

--
Andrew Gabriel