Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for #2: Simple wall mounted timer switch

I am also looking for something like this product:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100001546

but sold in the UK of course (that is a US site).

I can't find anything like this... there are some timers around but
they are much more complicated.

Any recommendations?

Thanks again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...lay/index.html

time delay switch?

Not quite the same though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I am also looking for something like this product:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100001546

but sold in the UK of course (that is a US site).

I can't find anything like this... there are some timers around but
they are much more complicated.

Any recommendations?

What range of times do you require?

The vacuum ones will do up to 10 mins:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EK400A.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 06:59:02 -0800, Dave wrote:

I am also looking for something like this product:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...roductDisplay?

storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100001546

but sold in the UK of course (that is a US site).

I can't find anything like this... there are some timers around but they
are much more complicated.

Any recommendations?

Thanks again

There's this:
http://www.lightingdirectory.com/products/article/267

or this:

http://www.allaboutelectrics.co.uk/doc/12/vid/2844/
HIGH_OUTPUT_RUN_BACK_TIMER.html

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info http://mixpix.batcave.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?sto...
but sold in the UK of course (that is a US site).
I can't find anything like this... there are some timers around but
they are much more complicated.

Do you actually need the ability to user-set the runback time? If a
pre-set time period is acceptable then Elkay do a range, 16A,
including
http://www.elkay.co.uk/product.asp?id=2&catid=1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:28:07 +0000, Appin wrote:

The message
from
contains these words:

http://www.elkay.co.uk/product.asp?id=2&catid=1

Sadly, however, in my experience the Elkay models, with the exception of
the pneumatic ones, which have a very limited timing range with any
degree of reliablility, are not at all reliable in terms of longevity.
Expensive and unreliable. But I haven't found a less-bad answer to the
problem of a 20 minute timing requirement.

How about a shorter time?

The house I'm in now had an external push delay switch to light the
garden floods when coming in from the garage (at the far end of the
garden, and round a corner).

The switch has died and the rubber seal over the top has perished
(probably linked...) so I want to replace it. I can't easily use a PIR as
it would need to cover a narrow path over a distance, and be sensitive to
people walking directly towards or away from it, which they generally
aren't.

I found a direct replacement (basically an indoor hydraulic switch with a
rubber cover and seal for the switch-surface box join in the 'exterior
fitting' kit) but that was almost £40 (!)

Any other ideas for a simple exterior push-on, delay-off switch with a
couple of minutes delay that can handle maybe 1000W of mains lighting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from PCPaul contains these words:

[...]

My experience is that the pneumatic ones are much more reliable than
the electronic ones. The Elkay models of the old Columbus time delay
switch (Elkay 400) are OK in the middle of their setting range (around
5 minutes) and have a shroud available, but with the shroud you'll
probably end up paying around £30.

Why does the switch need to be OUTSIDE the garage?

And if it does have to be OUTSIDE, why don't you build a waterproof
housing for it -- simple box with a lift-up cover with magnetic flap to
hold it closed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:32:50 +0000, Appin wrote:

Why does the switch need to be OUTSIDE the garage?

Because the lights are for the path from the back gate to the house,
which runs alongside the garage. You don't need to open the garage to be
using the path...

And if it does have to be OUTSIDE, why don't you build a waterproof
housing for it -- simple box with a lift-up cover with magnetic flap to
hold it closed?

I could do but even getting a small plastic universal box and adding
flap, hinge, catch etc. to it will add up to the cost of the
weatherproofing kit bit.

It just seems like even the cheapest PIRs have a time delay switch built
in, so it's odd that there's no cheap outdoor proof switch (or even touch
switch - no mechanicals) with the same electronics in. Maybe I should
just build one... I'd do it with a 555 and a relay but stepping the mains
down to something useful in that application isn't cheap either.