Posted to uk.d-i-y
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default Looking for #2: Simple wall mounted timer switch

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:32:50 +0000, Appin wrote:

Why does the switch need to be OUTSIDE the garage?

Because the lights are for the path from the back gate to the house,
which runs alongside the garage. You don't need to open the garage to be
using the path...

And if it does have to be OUTSIDE, why don't you build a waterproof
housing for it -- simple box with a lift-up cover with magnetic flap to
hold it closed?

I could do but even getting a small plastic universal box and adding
flap, hinge, catch etc. to it will add up to the cost of the
weatherproofing kit bit.

It just seems like even the cheapest PIRs have a time delay switch built
in, so it's odd that there's no cheap outdoor proof switch (or even touch
switch - no mechanicals) with the same electronics in. Maybe I should
just build one... I'd do it with a 555 and a relay but stepping the mains
down to something useful in that application isn't cheap either.