Posted to uk.rec.models.engineering,uk.d-i-y

Default Sprayed foam insulation

Has anyone had any experience of sprayed polyurathane foam insulation
in buildings? I need to insulate a building (roof & walls) that will
be my workshop. Roof is brand new fibre reinforced corrugated cement,
walls are cement block to waist height then timber studding above. I
had planned a suspended ceiling with rockwool on top, but I have
headroom constraints that make the sprayed polyurathane look more
promising. Walls could still be rockwool as it will be faced with 18mm
boarding.

AWEM

Posted to uk.rec.models.engineering,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:42:53 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I need to insulate a building (roof & walls) that will
be my workshop. Roof is brand new fibre reinforced corrugated cement,
walls are cement block to waist height then timber studding above. I
had planned a suspended ceiling with rockwool on top, but I have
headroom constraints that make the sprayed polyurathane look more
promising. Walls could still be rockwool as it will be faced with 18mm
boarding.

Wouldn't you be better lining it all (Walls and roof) with
Polyisocyanurate foam sheets (Kingspan/Celotex)?
http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

The only workshop I've seen with a sprayed roof had wriggly asbestos
cement sheet roofing panels and while the sprayed finish underneath
worked as insulation after a year or so it was very dirty and
impossible to clean because of its rough surface.
Posted to uk.rec.models.engineering, uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 12:42, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of sprayed polyurathane foam insulation
in buildings? I need to insulate a building (roof & walls) that will
be my workshop. Roof is brand new fibre reinforced corrugated cement,
walls are cement block to waist height then timber studding above. I
had planned a suspended ceiling with rockwool on top, but I have
headroom constraints that make the sprayed polyurathane look more
promising. Walls could still be rockwool as it will be faced with 18mm
boarding.

AWEM

Here`s what the inside of a mate`s shed looks like.He had it done a
few years ago,not pretty,but effective.

http://www.budgetmachinery.co.uk/new...nalgrinder.htm

Mark.
Posted to uk.rec.models.engineering,uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience of sprayed polyurathane foam insulation
in buildings? I need to insulate a building (roof & walls) that will
be my workshop. Roof is brand new fibre reinforced corrugated cement,
walls are cement block to waist height then timber studding above. I
had planned a suspended ceiling with rockwool on top, but I have
headroom constraints that make the sprayed polyurathane look more
promising. Walls could still be rockwool as it will be faced with 18mm
boarding.

Andrew

No experience of it as insulation of that kind, but I would want a pretty
good vapour barrier between me and it - some of the chemicals in PU foam are
distinctly noxious. It's also pretty awful stuff in a fire - produces vile
black smoke with cyanides in it.

You can get fire retarded foamed polystyrene sheet in 8' x 4' sizes cut to
pretty much any thickness you want - again needs a covering but it's quite
cheap and a lot safer.

As an aside, I've had great success in making workshop floors by floating
flooring grade chipboard on sheets of EPS foam.

All best

Norman