Posted to uk.rec.models.engineering,uk.d-i-y
Norman Billingham[_2_] Norman Billingham[_2_] is offline

Default Sprayed foam insulation

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience of sprayed polyurathane foam insulation
in buildings? I need to insulate a building (roof & walls) that will
be my workshop. Roof is brand new fibre reinforced corrugated cement,
walls are cement block to waist height then timber studding above. I
had planned a suspended ceiling with rockwool on top, but I have
headroom constraints that make the sprayed polyurathane look more
promising. Walls could still be rockwool as it will be faced with 18mm
boarding.

Andrew

No experience of it as insulation of that kind, but I would want a pretty
good vapour barrier between me and it - some of the chemicals in PU foam are
distinctly noxious. It's also pretty awful stuff in a fire - produces vile
black smoke with cyanides in it.

You can get fire retarded foamed polystyrene sheet in 8' x 4' sizes cut to
pretty much any thickness you want - again needs a covering but it's quite
cheap and a lot safer.

As an aside, I've had great success in making workshop floors by floating
flooring grade chipboard on sheets of EPS foam.

All best

Norman