Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FOAM Insulation and do it yourself installation

I understand r-values and all that stuff. That said an insulation
person inspected my house and noted that the underside was not
insulated (my house sits off the ground about 3 feet. He suggested
foam insulation and quoted me $1.50 per square foot for a cost of about
1500 to do the job. My question is that on the web there are plenty of
spray on foam insulation products with DIY equipment. Seems a simple
enough job.

Is this something that can be done by one's self? If so which product
would you recommend?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I understand r-values and all that stuff. That said an insulation
person inspected my house and noted that the underside was not
insulated (my house sits off the ground about 3 feet. He suggested
foam insulation and quoted me $1.50 per square foot for a cost of about
1500 to do the job. My question is that on the web there are plenty of
spray on foam insulation products with DIY equipment. Seems a simple
enough job.

Is this something that can be done by one's self? If so which product
would you recommend?

You can do it yourself. The equipment for spraying is available for rent
wherever you buy the foam. Spray foam is probably the easiest. You can
also cut rigid foam and put it between the floor joists, but the fit will
not be perfect in spots if you have to go around bracing, wiring, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

I never sprayed-on, but I injected foam in a wall cavity. I was satisfied
with the application. Unable to say how much it affected my heating bills.