Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diy book

i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

It'll take ore than one book to learn all there is about DIY ie one book for
each and every trade,a sort of encyclopedia

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"benpost" wrote in message
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

They can be quite useful for showing you how things are typically
constructed (eg walls, roofs, floors) and what materials are typically
available for DIY use (eg sheet materials, fasteners), but as George implies
are pretty limited. I saw a large recently-published Dorling Kindersley DIY
manual remaindered from £25 to £6 at WH Smith the other day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

Isn't the Collins one normally recommended?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan, 20:47, "rrh" wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message

i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

They can be quite useful for showing you how things are typically
constructed (eg walls, roofs, floors) and what materials are typically
available for DIY use (eg sheet materials, fasteners), but as George implies
are pretty limited. I saw a large recently-published Dorling Kindersley DIY
manual remaindered from £25 to £6 at WH Smith the other day.

I have the Dorling Kindersley DIY manual and yes I got it for £6, it
is brilliant, it has plenty of pictures to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

Isn't the Collins one normally recommended?

It should be. The B&Q one is quite good as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:03:42 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Clive George wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

Isn't the Collins one normally recommended?

It should be. The B&Q one is quite good as well.

I've been given a selection, and the Collins one is the best IMO.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

I am no expert at DIY, but I find the books generalize too much, but
more importantly, they age rather fast. Far better to ask a question on
uk.diy news group.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Clive George wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

Isn't the Collins one normally recommended?

It should be. The B&Q one is quite good as well.

I've been given a selection, and the Collins one is the best IMO.

Seconded. Or should that be thirded? ;-)

I've got the Collins book and can highly recommend it. The Reader's
Digest one is good too.

As the others have said a single book can never cover anything,
however if you're relatively new to DIY something like Collins will
teach you a LOT. Even if you're beyond 'beginner' stage such a book
will still fill lots of knowledge gaps.

If nothing else a book like this will give you good grounding for
asking questions around here, if only to use the correct terminology!

Mathew

P.S. I see Amazon sell it for half price (£12.50) - but make sure you
go for the latest version (Oct '07 - see http://preview.tinyurl.com/2ta3tq)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't forget the FAQ of course!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fantastic, i will get the collins one to start with i'm sure i will
learn a lot from it, but will keep asking questions here as you are
all very helpful!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
benpost wrote:
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

I am no expert at DIY, but I find the books generalize too much, but
more importantly, they age rather fast.

Hmm. I'd say not for most basic tasks. Like decorating, minor building
works, carpentry etc. True if you're looking for information on the latest
boiler or wiring regs and so on but then I'd not expect that sort of info
from a DIY book anyway.

Far better to ask a question on uk.diy news group.

Certainly to clarify anything you don't understand. But asking the right
question is easier with a knowledge of the basics.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
benpost writes
i'm interested in buying a diy book, can anyone recommend any?

whatever

people will come up with suggestions,

but ...

There is no substitute for asking the right people the right ques
tions

and using a bit of grey matter

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

It'll take ore than one book to learn all there is about DIY ie one book for
each and every trade,a sort of encyclopedia

Heck yes, and it could be bound in a ring binder so you can take the
pages out and refer to them as you work.

It would need a sponsor as well. How about Reader's Digest?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In true blue peter tradition, here are some we wrote earlier:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ecial:Allpages

--
Cheers,

John.

Which saw to use on a book ? AL Woodworking 21 October 21st 05 10:46 PM
I Wish This Book Had Been Available... jon_banquer Metalworking 24 July 21st 05 04:59 PM
WJ Book Rob Johnstone Woodworking 84 May 28th 05 12:51 PM
A&C book, anyone have this or seen this one? Larry Jaques Woodworking 5 January 16th 05 05:21 AM
Book??? Bob Paulin Metalworking 11 November 10th 03 04:52 PM