Bob Paulin

Default Book???

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

Of course, I didn't write the name down, and I am going to thrash through a
pile of older books next week, and I cannot remember the name of this book
- which I believe is no longer in print.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

Bob Paulin
jim rozen

In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

The next might be the Moltrecht book, and then possibly
the Connelly hand-scraping treatise.

My personal favorite however would be South Bend's tiny
booket entitled "How to Run a Lathe."

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

A very useful reference, but not as good for learning *how* to
do things.

The next might be the Moltrecht book, and then possibly
the Connelly hand-scraping treatise.

The two-volume _Machine Shop Practice_ by Moltrecht is what I
consider the most useful "how-to-do" (and "what can these tools do")
book in my collection.

My personal favorite however would be South Bend's tiny
booket entitled "How to Run a Lathe."

Very good for lathe work, but that is not all of what a
metalworking shop is about.

And if you include sheet metal fabrication, I'm sure that there
are other books which are better for the purpose.

The Connelly book is probably the best for serious rebuilding of
old machine tools, though less useful for just *using* them. :-)

Of course, there are other books which are good for a hobby
shop, where the tooling tends to be older than the viable commercial
shops. One good choice there is the two volume _Modern Machine Shop
Practice_ by Rose. (Of course, the "Modern" in the title is rather
dated. :-) But they will show you how to do things which are glossed over
in more recent books. These books may be found in PDF format on the
web, somewhere or other.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Larry Jaques

On 8 Nov 2003 07:50:16 -0800, jim rozen
brought forth from the murky depths:

In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

Does anyone know the differences in the various versions?
I'm wondering how they vary from 1937, '45, '65, and '85 or
newer. Were the newer/different/more efficient methods of
post-war machining added around then?

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------
Trevor Jones

jim rozen wrote:

In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

The next might be the Moltrecht book, and then possibly
the Connelly hand-scraping treatise.

My personal favorite however would be South Bend's tiny
booket entitled "How to Run a Lathe."

Jim

please reply to:

If you serch out "the machinist's handbook" you are likely to find that
it is a dinky little pocket reference book full of sketchy information.

The one you want is called "Machinery's Handbook" and has somwhere near
2000 pages of reference material. Currently in it's 26th Edition, about
$100 new. The older editions are GREAT and can be had for considerably
less. I paid CDN $20 for a 23rd Edition, and $5 for a 20th that I gave
to a friend of mine.

Machinery was a magazine that dealt with industry issues around the
turn of the last century. They collected the wisdom of their
contributors into a handbook. Been going for a long time.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

jim rozen

In article , Trevor Jones says...

The one you want is called "Machinery's Handbook" and has somwhere near
2000 pages of reference material.

Yep, the *big* one, it's practically a cubical
book.

Jim

please reply to:

Bob Paulin

jim rozen wrote in article
In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many

felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

I have the 25th and 16th editions...

The next might be the Moltrecht book,

That might be the one

and then possibly
the Connelly hand-scraping treatise.

My personal favorite however would be South Bend's tiny
booket entitled "How to Run a Lathe."

I have it...

Bob Paulin

DoN. Nichols wrote in article
In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article 01c3a5a6$c13165a0$eb93c3d8@race, Bob Paulin says...

A while back, there was a book mentioned on this newsgroup that many

felt
was the quintessential book for a metalworking shop.

First book that comes to mind would be nearly any copy
of the machinist's handbook, of whatever vintage.

A very useful reference, but not as good for learning *how* to
do things.

The next might be the Moltrecht book, and then possibly
the Connelly hand-scraping treatise.

The two-volume _Machine Shop Practice_ by Moltrecht is what I
consider the most useful "how-to-do" (and "what can these tools do")
book in my collection.

That might be the one I was looking for....

Bob Paulin

Does anyone know the differences in the various versions?
I'm wondering how they vary from 1937, '45, '65, and '85 or
newer. Were the newer/different/more efficient methods of
post-war machining added around then?

A friend of mine rebuilds machinery, and he told me that the earlier -
pre-17th edition - Machinist Handbooks contain more practical math and
problem solving formulae.

I already had a 25th edition, but I snapped up a 16th edition for $10 when
the opportunity presented itself, and I can see the difference in available
information.

Newer editions, as you might expect, have kept up with the times and
eliminated a lot of the calculations that old-time machinists used to use,
or that are now handled in CNC and other software applications.

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 09:49:37 -0600, "Bob Paulin"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Does anyone know the differences in the various versions?
I'm wondering how they vary from 1937, '45, '65, and '85 or
newer. Were the newer/different/more efficient methods of
post-war machining added around then?

A friend of mine rebuilds machinery, and he told me that the earlier -
pre-17th edition - Machinist Handbooks contain more practical math and
problem solving formulae.

This is actually Machinery's Handbook we're talking about, right?
Someone pointed that out in an earlier post yesterday.

With your advice, I just bid on a 13th edition from 1948.

I already had a 25th edition, but I snapped up a 16th edition for $10 when
the opportunity presented itself, and I can see the difference in available
information.

Newer editions, as you might expect, have kept up with the times and
eliminated a lot of the calculations that old-time machinists used to use,
or that are now handled in CNC and other software applications.

Take a look at Audel's pumps/hydraulics/compressors manual from way
back when, too. It's amazingly comprehensive and detailed.

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Gerald Miller

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:10:02 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

With your advice, I just bid on a 13th edition from 1948.

My Third printing of the 13th edition is dated 1946 on the fly leaf. I
have no regrets over having paid US$5.00 for it seven years ago!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
GJRepesh

Machining Fundamentals by John R. Walker is worth looking at.

Gary Repesh