Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

Default Dulux paint vs. Dulux trade paint

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

I know this is a DIY group but I can't be good at everything, so I've
got someone coming to paint the staircase.

Focus are selling two 5L tins of Dulux for £25, whereas he can get one
5L for about £20 but he's telling me that the "public" version is
watered down and the trade stuff is better and worth paying more for.

Dulux also sell a diamond matt paint that is supposed to be
indestructible but the trade price is 45+vat for 5L. It's not that
much in the shops. Is the trade paint really that much better?

He tells me to go with just plain old vinyl matt and says the trade
version is just as tough as any fancy diamond variety. Is the diamond
matt just a marketing gimmick? I thought it might be more resistant to
scuffs and stains and worth paying extra for, provided it works; does
it? Or is this a ploy to get me to use cheap stuff so he has to come
back and retouch it next year

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Dec, 13:08, Sam wrote:
[...]

I find the trade stuff from a Dulux centre is better value and covers
well. Their Glidden brand is good for whites and magnolia too. I water
it down slightly. Here's more expert opinion on the differences.
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread....ageID=15 3084
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:22:19 -0800 (PST), Al M
wrote:

I find the trade stuff from a Dulux centre is better value and covers
well. Their Glidden brand is good for whites and magnolia too. I water
it down slightly. Here's more expert opinion on the differences.

Thanks I shall read that link now.

BTW before anyone rushes to Focus to take advantage of their offer,
I've been back and double-checked and it's two 2.5L for £25, not two
5L. they sell 5L for £26.99, which is about what this chappie gets the
trade paint for (I think his £20 price is ex vat).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Dec, 13:08, Sam wrote:

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

In general, without checking on Dulux specifically, the difference is
in the amount of inert pigment (or plain white filler) in there. This
has a significant effect on the covering power _per_coat_.

If you're looking for the cheapest job, you'll probably get there
eventually with the cheap stuff, using more coats to do just as good a
job (Dulux "non-trade" isn't a bad paint).

If you're just freshening up a tobacco-stained or faded wall, there's
ot much in it.

If you're in a hurry, or if labour is costing more than paint (almost
any commercial work), then the "trade" grade paints are almost always
the better investment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

The 'Trade' is better quality.

My Uncle is a painter, and wont use anything other than Crown Trade
emulsion, he says it is far better than any other brand.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Sam wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

The 'Trade' is better quality.

My Uncle is a painter, and wont use anything other than Crown Trade
emulsion, he says it is far better than any other brand.
Alan.

I'd gained an impression that the trade stuff was a bit more runny,
hence needed more skill to put on.

Of course if you really want the ultimate paint, go for a two pot epoxy
yacht paint. The £30 for 750ml might put you off though.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 1:08*pm, Sam wrote:

Is the diamond
matt just a marketing gimmick? I thought it might be more resistant to
scuffs and stains and worth paying extra for, provided it works; does
it? Or is this a ploy to get me to use cheap stuff so he has to come
back and retouch it next year

AFAIK it's scrubbable so better for kitchens, bathrooms and small
children

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam wrote in message
Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

From the horses mouth
http://www.dulux.co.uk/advice/questions/faq/faq_005.jsp

IMHO Leyland paint is better and cheaper.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:34:07 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

IMHO Leyland paint is better and cheaper.

It should be compared with Gliddens (from Dulux) and
Macphersons/Brolac (from Crown). 'Ordinary' Dulux and Crown are
premium brands and Leyland is not.
I suppose that if you spend a lot of time using a particular product
you learn how to get the best out of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , A.Lee
writes
Sam wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

The 'Trade' is better quality.

My Uncle is a painter, and wont use anything other than Crown Trade
emulsion, he says it is far better than any other brand.
Alan.

Having just been doing a load of painting at Church - the white
Satinwood (Trade) covered everything and went miles. The coloured gloss
(standard non-drip) didn't cover as well and hasn't gone as far.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 29, 7:05 pm, John wrote:
In article , A.Lee
writesSam wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?

The 'Trade' is better quality.

My Uncle is a painter, and wont use anything other than Crown Trade
emulsion, he says it is far better than any other brand.
Alan.

Having just been doing a load of painting at Church - the white
Satinwood (Trade) covered everything and went miles. The coloured gloss
(standard non-drip) didn't cover as well and hasn't gone as far.

Gloss isn't very good for covering. Anything under it will grin if the
right shade of undercoat is not applied first.

The gloss is a finished effect more like a varnish than a cover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:34:07 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

IMHO Leyland paint is better and cheaper.

It should be compared with Gliddens (from Dulux) and
Macphersons/Brolac (from Crown). 'Ordinary' Dulux and Crown are
premium brands and Leyland is not.

The only thing Premium about Dulux is the price and old wives tales.
Perhaps that will change now they have been acquired by Akzo-nobel who do
make some premium paints, other then the Crown brand which is also aimed at
the DIYer.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:14:02 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:34:07 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

IMHO Leyland paint is better and cheaper.

It should be compared with Gliddens (from Dulux) and
Macphersons/Brolac (from Crown). 'Ordinary' Dulux and Crown are
premium brands and Leyland is not.

The only thing Premium about Dulux is the price and old wives tales.
Perhaps that will change now they have been acquired by Akzo-nobel who do
make some premium paints, other then the Crown brand which is also aimed at
the DIYer.

I've never ever had success with any Crown paint. I do like Dulux
trade Diamond eggshell which I used for my kitchen walls (Pastorale
Jade). Even diluted to use on new plaster it gave lovely coverage
which could almost suffice without further coats :-)

I used Gliddens matt white fungicidal paint on the ceiling - that did
need a couple of coats (to hide some pencil-marks!).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:14:02 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

The only thing Premium about Dulux is the price and old wives tales.

It's about position in the market. Crown and Dulux (even if you don't
like it) are marketed as premium brands, Macphersons and Gliddens
their respective value-for-money brands.

Perhaps that will change now they have been acquired by Akzo-nobel who do
make some premium paints,

It'll be interesting to see what Akzo do with Dulux, and what they do
with the two distribution networks.

other then the Crown brand which is also aimed at
the DIYer.

It wasn't when I worked for Crown and I'm not aware that the situation
has changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:14:02 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

The only thing Premium about Dulux is the price and old wives tales.

It's about position in the market. Crown and Dulux (even if you don't
like it) are marketed as premium brands, Macphersons and Gliddens
their respective value-for-money brands.

Unfortunately out in the real world marketing and market position does
always equate to a superior product Just a higher price to pay for it.
As anyone who has compered for instance Dulux Weathershield with Leyland
masonry paint, on price, durability and coverage would tell you.

It wasn't when I worked for Crown and I'm not aware that the situation
has changed.

Im an end user not an ex-employee of either firm and without any
preconceived quality ideas other then the final result.

-

Dulux Paint Yaz UK diy 4 May 16th 07 04:17 PM
Dulux & Dulux Trade paint Grumps UK diy 5 March 18th 06 08:09 AM
Dulux Trade versus Dulux retail paint asalcedo UK diy 23 December 12th 05 06:10 PM
Need dulux bourbon paint - help please malcolmrice UK diy 3 November 20th 04 09:41 AM
How to get primary (C,M,Y) emulsion paint, e.g. Dulux? Chris Nellist UK diy 23 November 12th 04 11:32 AM