Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating with tiny access

I live in somewhat draughty basement flat with sash windows. The
windows have deep sills (about 500mm), like window seats.

I had some damp damage in a bedroom and had to remove a 200mm square
hole from the plaster underneath a window. This is about to be
repaired, but I'm wondering whether I should try to insulate the
cavernous hole beneath the window, revealed by the hole. It's quite a
small area of wall - only about 1.5m wide and 1m high - so it's
probably not worth cutting out a huge section to get at it properly.
I'm wondering whether I can use the small access hole to spray some
foam insulation on the inside of the wall. It obviously won't fill the
huge hole, and I'm wondering whether I'll have any success trying to
get any kind of coverage with that awkward level of access.

Should I just not bother?

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

==================================
Do a 'google' (or Ebay) for polystyrene beads. They can be poured like
porridge. Bear in mind that the hole you see might be an opening to a
much larger cavity.

Cic.

Did expanded mica go out of fashion? I don't like the idea of all that
polystyrene in a house, it burns nasty.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Champ contains these words:

Cicero wrote:

==================================
Do a 'google' (or Ebay) for polystyrene beads. They can be poured like
porridge. Bear in mind that the hole you see might be an opening to a
much larger cavity.

Cic.

Did expanded mica go out of fashion? I don't like the idea of all that
polystyrene in a house, it burns nasty.

And the mice love it.

Mica was my first thought too, until I saw the location and the amount
that would be required. Good stuff for stud partitions, but for my self
I'd open up the area. It'll be easier to replace a larger piece of
plasterboard anyway!

Tiny Spiders AE Todd Home Repair 3 August 13th 07 04:24 PM
Will tiny leak fix itself? Martin Pentreath UK diy 6 March 4th 07 09:24 AM
Tiny air conditioner _DD Home Repair 10 April 24th 06 03:40 PM
Tiny gloat Morris Dovey Woodworking 4 October 7th 05 01:34 AM
Tiny second loo! [email protected] UK diy 9 September 25th 05 11:08 AM