Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Will tiny leak fix itself?

Hi,

Just put up a new radiator, a hulking great vertical thing that was a
bugger, mainly through being so heavy. Now I've just noticed that
there is a teensy leak where one of the tails goes into the rad. I
guess I didn't tighten it enough (it's got PTFE tape on it). The only
way to fix it would be to drain the rad, get it back off the wall and
take an allen key to it. It's dripping at the rate of about one drip
every two minutes (probably even slower). What are the chances of it
healing itself? Maybe I should encourage a little sludge build up!

Cheers,

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Hi,

Just put up a new radiator, a hulking great vertical thing that was a
bugger, mainly through being so heavy. Now I've just noticed that
there is a teensy leak where one of the tails goes into the rad. I
guess I didn't tighten it enough (it's got PTFE tape on it). The only
way to fix it would be to drain the rad, get it back off the wall and
take an allen key to it. It's dripping at the rate of about one drip
every two minutes (probably even slower). What are the chances of it
healing itself? Maybe I should encourage a little sludge build up!

Small.
Why can't you just give it another fraction of a turn?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar 2007 09:29:05 -0800, "Martin Pentreath"
wrote:

|!Hi,
|!
|!Just put up a new radiator, a hulking great vertical thing that was a
|!bugger, mainly through being so heavy. Now I've just noticed that
|!there is a teensy leak where one of the tails goes into the rad. I
|!guess I didn't tighten it enough (it's got PTFE tape on it). The only
|!way to fix it would be to drain the rad, get it back off the wall and
|!take an allen key to it. It's dripping at the rate of about one drip
|!every two minutes (probably even slower). What are the chances of it
|!healing itself? Maybe I should encourage a little sludge build up!

Small Central heating leaks normally heal themselves after a few weeks. Tie
a bit if rag round the leak and let the water evaporate. If it has not
cured itself when you turn the central heating off for the summer *do*
something.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Hi,

Just put up a new radiator, a hulking great vertical thing that was a
bugger, mainly through being so heavy. Now I've just noticed that
there is a teensy leak where one of the tails goes into the rad. I
guess I didn't tighten it enough (it's got PTFE tape on it). The only
way to fix it would be to drain the rad, get it back off the wall and
take an allen key to it. It's dripping at the rate of about one drip
every two minutes (probably even slower). What are the chances of it
healing itself? Maybe I should encourage a little sludge build up!

Cheers,

Martin

Mine did this. My tails connect to a tap-like valve and when I tightened
the connection on this it turned the tail out of the radiator. Fix was to
loosen the connection to the valve, get a suitably thin wrench to tighten
the tail back up and then tighten the valve again whilst trying to hold the
tail still.

Hopefully that makes perfect sense.....

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Martin Pentreath writes
Hi,

Just put up a new radiator, a hulking great vertical thing that was a
bugger, mainly through being so heavy. Now I've just noticed that
there is a teensy leak where one of the tails goes into the rad. I
guess I didn't tighten it enough (it's got PTFE tape on it). The only
way to fix it would be to drain the rad, get it back off the wall and
take an allen key to it. It's dripping at the rate of about one drip
every two minutes (probably even slower). What are the chances of it
healing itself? Maybe I should encourage a little sludge build up!

I recently put in a load of convection piping, with a radiator, up to
the hot water tank, and a couple of the PTFE'd joints wept a wee bit but
they did settle down by themselves after a week or two.
--
Roger Hunt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Stirling wrote:

Martin Pentreath wrote:
Hi,

Just put up a new radiator, a hulking great vertical thing that was a
bugger, mainly through being so heavy. Now I've just noticed that
there is a teensy leak where one of the tails goes into the rad. I
guess I didn't tighten it enough (it's got PTFE tape on it). The only
way to fix it would be to drain the rad, get it back off the wall and
take an allen key to it. It's dripping at the rate of about one drip
every two minutes (probably even slower). What are the chances of it
healing itself? Maybe I should encourage a little sludge build up!

Small.
Why can't you just give it another fraction of a turn?

Because the hex socket for the allen key is *inside* the tail - and so can't
be got at without disconnection. There's probably not enough exposed tail to
grip it on the outside - and even if there were, the stilsons or whatever
would mangle the chrome finish more than somewhat!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could try introducing some leak sealer into the system - all you need is
access to the headertank (remove some water first) or any radiator that you
can ratially drain enough to get stuff in the top vent. That should seal it
fine.

ups.com...

Tiny Ensuite avocado UK diy 12 January 6th 07 02:18 PM
Tiny Ants in Kitchen Mike Home Repair 17 November 2nd 05 04:14 AM
Tiny gloat Morris Dovey Woodworking 4 October 7th 05 01:34 AM
Tiny second loo! [email protected] UK diy 9 September 25th 05 11:08 AM
A tiny little leak in a soldered joint... toller Home Repair 18 February 18th 05 10:54 PM