Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self cutting taps

I've got to tee off of two 15mm copper pipes in the most inaccessible place
imaginable.

It occurs to me that self cutting washing machine taps would make the job
simple.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13768/...tting-Tap-15mm

Washing machine tap-tap connector-pipe.

Any reason not to use them? They would be behind a bath panel on a concrete
floor.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've got to tee off of two 15mm copper pipes in the most inaccessible
place imaginable.

It occurs to me that self cutting washing machine taps would make the
job simple.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13768/...tting-Tap-15mm

Washing machine tap-tap connector-pipe.

Any reason not to use them? They would be behind a bath panel on a
concrete floor.

Depends how much flow you need. I suspect that the bit which you partially
punch out restricts the flow more than somewhat - both in the branch and in
the main pipe.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

simple.http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13768/...chine-Accs/Sel...

Washing machine tap-tap connector-pipe.

Any reason not to use them? They would be behind a bath panel on a concrete
floor.

After approx 5 years, the piece of steel which makes the hole rusts,
grows and blocks/restricts the flow. You can then dismantle and clean
the remains away, and they're good for at least another 5 years. -
Depends how long your warranty is :+)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've got to tee off of two 15mm copper pipes in the most inaccessible place
imaginable.

It occurs to me that self cutting washing machine taps would make the job
simple.http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13768/...chine-Accs/Sel...

Washing machine tap-tap connector-pipe.

Any reason not to use them? They would be behind a bath panel on a concrete
floor.

After approx 5 years, the piece of steel which makes the hole rusts,
grows and blocks/restricts the flow.

Never happened to me, but what did happen was that the little copper
disc that gets punched out became stuck in the ball valve in the cold
water header tank.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've got to tee off of two 15mm copper pipes in the most inaccessible
place imaginable.

It occurs to me that self cutting washing machine taps would make the
job simple.

Any reason not to use them?

Yeah, they're awful. The cutters don't always go in square, the washers
leak, the flow is pathetic and they rust like Moscvichs. In the situation
you describe I'd cut out a larger section of pipe and replace with a load of
plastic & push-fit which can be located more flexibly.

OTOH, I am borderline clueless, so you might want to wait for an expert
view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OTOH, I am borderline clueless, so you might want to wait for an expert
view.

Dont you just love an honest man