Alex

Default Gluing 4" underground clay pipe

If I was going to do it ,I would use a silicone adhesive then bind the joint
with plaster type bandage.and then set the joint in a mortar bed with a
water proof mix.

Paul Clarke

I need to make a new connection into a 4" clay pipe... unfortunately the
socket has broken with about 2" of the rim missing.

So, I was thinking of gluing the fractured piece (which is to hand) back in
and dropping in a short section of 4" pipe, also 'gluing' that in somehow to
make a watertight seal. Thereafter fitting a connecter for110 mm pipe. There
is an alternative of cutting off the rim off altogether and fitting the
connecter to the section 4" pipe left, but this is very much plan B as this
remaining section is very short (= 1") and if it doesn't work then I'll
really be up the proverbial creek...

So, can anyone suggest a suitable adhesive for the purpose of making a
stong, watertight joint in clay pipe?. I was thinking of using plastic
padding, maybe.

Thanks,
Paul.

Simon

"Paul Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

definitely not Plastic padding ... polyesters don't set well, or at all, in
damp conditions
I'd recommend an epoxy putty like Milliput or similar ... it comes in a
range of 4 colours including terracotta which matches terracotta clay.
Completely waterproof when set. Sets in wet conditions, even under water!

available from http://www.chronos.ltd.uk

Michael McNeil

Just go back to the next pipe or build an inspection hatch (manhole)
there. It doesn't even have to come to the surface does it? And anyway
it wouldn't hurt if it did. Have you ever tried rodding around a bend?

It would save all that.

Clay drain pipe cutting. tzd3sw UK diy 4 September 24th 03 02:24 PM
Soil pipe connection Neil D. UK diy 2 September 15th 03 11:11 PM
Formable plastic plumbing pipe on Discovery H&L Nightdrive UK diy 12 August 22nd 03 04:23 AM
Converting soil pipe access panel to allow 40mm pipe Scott UK diy 1 August 12th 03 10:14 PM
Moving a Ground Floor Toilet Jonathan@Home UK diy 2 July 26th 03 12:08 PM