tzd3sw

Default Clay drain pipe cutting.

Whilst re-designing the patio at the weekend the sledgehammer got a
little to close to the 90deg bend from the down pipe. The result is a
crack (hole) ((now leaking)) in the clay 90deg bend. oops! Now the
downpipe is plastic and the foul drain is clay so I need to replace
the bend which means cuting through the clay pipe and using an adapter
- so far so good. How do I cut through the clay pipe cleanly without
breaking/shattering it? It must be 50+ years old. Any tips ? Angle
grinder came to mind but that means digging a heafty hole round the
pipe.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim
Grunff

tzd3sw wrote:

How do I cut through the clay pipe cleanly without
breaking/shattering it? It must be 50+ years old. Any tips ? Angle
grinder came to mind but that means digging a heafty hole round the
pipe.

You got it - 9" angle grinder with a stone cutting disk. But
you're right, it does mean digging a hole around the pipe.

--
Grunff

John Woodhall

"Grunff" wrote in message
tzd3sw wrote:

How do I cut through the clay pipe cleanly without
breaking/shattering it? It must be 50+ years old. Any tips ? Angle
grinder came to mind but that means digging a heafty hole round the
pipe.

You got it - 9" angle grinder with a stone cutting disk. But
you're right, it does mean digging a hole around the pipe.

--
Grunff

I used a 9inch grinder, found that I got a much cleaner cut with a diamond
blade. You could use a ratchet cutter but I suspect that would mean an even
bigger hole.

John Rumm

John Woodhall wrote:

blade. You could use a ratchet cutter but I suspect that would mean an even
bigger hole.

Not to mention playing a game of "chase the pipe" every time the ratchet
cutter makes a balls up of the 50 year old salt glaze pipe and shatters
it so you have to dig a bit further so you can trim another bit off!

--
Cheers,

John.

ian nicoll

I used an abrasive wire blade which you get on those tile saws for cutting
curves. For about £3 I fitted the blade in my hacksaw and cut the pipe
reasonable quickly. I didn't need too much of a hole under the pipe.

Cutting cast-iron soil pipe Ben Edgington UK diy 6 September 10th 03 12:48 PM
cutting a hole in a cast iron soil pipe Steve UK diy 7 August 11th 03 01:08 PM
Moving a Ground Floor Toilet Jonathan@Home UK diy 2 July 26th 03 12:08 PM
cutting soil pipe Frisket UK diy 4 July 24th 03 12:27 PM
cutting soil pipe Frisket UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 09:50 PM