Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value?

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Probably not much, but leave it outside the front of the house around here,
and someone will be knocking (if you are lucky!) to ask if they can take it
away or it just vanishes.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

If it's intact you'd be better selling it privately or through an
architectural scrap merchant - lots of buildings are only allowed to use
cast iron fittings and they're expensive.

If it's not intact take it to your scrap yard for weighing in.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

I did a house a few months ago with 3 x 25 feet of gutter, and 2 down
pipes, got around £15 scrap from the dealer.(actually got around £20 for
260kg, but I had an old boiler and a few other bits to add on.)
£80/tonne recently for cast scrap.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

I did a house a few months ago with 3 x 25 feet of gutter, and 2 down
pipes, got around £15 scrap from the dealer.(actually got around £20 for
260kg, but I had an old boiler and a few other bits to add on.)
£80/tonne recently for cast scrap.
Alan.

If you are not worried about "value" then put it on your local Freecycle
group website.

Someone may well find enough good bits to do some repairs.

The usual arrangement is for the receiver to collect , so you get to
reccyle it and get it carted away as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
news

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Probably not much, but leave it outside the front of the house around
here, and someone will be knocking (if you are lucky!) to ask if they can
take it away or it just vanishes.

Peter

Jees, I thought it was only my area that was like that
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Once again on here.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:
ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap it ?xx

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ue-438403-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ?

8p per kilo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 21:44:05 UTC+1, michelle campbell wrote:
replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:
ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap it ?xx

£100 a ton, according to this
http://scrapmetalreaders.co.uk/scrap-metal-prices/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2017 21:44, michelle campbell wrote:
replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a
ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap
it ?xx

Is it in good condition?

Then it may have resale value for restoration of Grade 2 or higher
listed buildings if you can find the right sort of reclaimation yard to
sell it to (for better that scrap metal value). If it is being replaced
because it has rusted through then it is basically just scrap iron. --
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2017 07:59, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/09/2017 21:44, michelle campbell wrote:
replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight
a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or
scrap it ?xx

Is it in good condition?

Then it may have resale value for restoration of Grade 2 or higher
listed buildings if you can find the right sort of reclaimation yard to
sell it to (for better that scrap metal value). If it is being replaced
because it has rusted through then it is basically just scrap iron. --

Judging from what I've seen on some TV programs the reclaimation yard
may sell it expensively but buy it in for little more than scrap value.

PVC to cast iron Keith Home Repair 3 February 23rd 06 06:02 PM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 11:52 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
cast iron; Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 3 September 19th 04 05:12 AM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM