Posted to uk.d-i-y
robert robert is offline

Default Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value?

A.Lee wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

I did a house a few months ago with 3 x 25 feet of gutter, and 2 down
pipes, got around £15 scrap from the dealer.(actually got around £20 for
260kg, but I had an old boiler and a few other bits to add on.)
£80/tonne recently for cast scrap.
Alan.

If you are not worried about "value" then put it on your local Freecycle
group website.

Someone may well find enough good bits to do some repairs.

The usual arrangement is for the receiver to collect , so you get to
reccyle it and get it carted away as well.