DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/222353-old-cast-iron-guttering-scrap-value.html)

Lobster November 24th 07 01:48 PM

Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value?

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Peter Andrews November 24th 07 01:58 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Probably not much, but leave it outside the front of the house around here,
and someone will be knocking (if you are lucky!) to ask if they can take it
away or it just vanishes.

Peter

Mary Fisher November 24th 07 02:10 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

If it's intact you'd be better selling it privately or through an
architectural scrap merchant - lots of buildings are only allowed to use
cast iron fittings and they're expensive.

If it's not intact take it to your scrap yard for weighing in.

Mary

A.Lee November 24th 07 02:14 PM

Lobster wrote:

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

I did a house a few months ago with 3 x 25 feet of gutter, and 2 down
pipes, got around £15 scrap from the dealer.(actually got around £20 for
260kg, but I had an old boiler and a few other bits to add on.)
£80/tonne recently for cast scrap.
Alan.

robert November 24th 07 02:56 PM

A.Lee wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about
10m of downpipe.

I did a house a few months ago with 3 x 25 feet of gutter, and 2 down
pipes, got around £15 scrap from the dealer.(actually got around £20 for
260kg, but I had an old boiler and a few other bits to add on.)
£80/tonne recently for cast scrap.
Alan.

If you are not worried about "value" then put it on your local Freecycle
group website.

Someone may well find enough good bits to do some repairs.

The usual arrangement is for the receiver to collect , so you get to
reccyle it and get it carted away as well.

the_constructor November 24th 07 06:03 PM

Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value?

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
k...

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Probably not much, but leave it outside the front of the house around
here, and someone will be knocking (if you are lucky!) to ask if they can
take it away or it just vanishes.

Peter

Jees, I thought it was only my area that was like that
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Dave Baker[_2_] November 24th 07 06:41 PM

"Lobster" wrote in message
I need to replace a house-load of knackered old post-war cast-iron
guttering/downpipes: does this have any significant scrap value, or do I
just smash it up and cart it down to the recycling centre?

There'll be about 11 metres of half-round gutters and I suppose about 10m
of downpipe.

Thanks
David

Once again on here.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

michelle campbell September 19th 17 09:44 PM

Old cast-iron guttering - scrap value?

replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:
ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap it ?xx

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ue-438403-.htm

Andy Burns[_13_] September 19th 17 09:52 PM

michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ?

8p per kilo

[email protected] September 19th 17 10:02 PM

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 21:44:05 UTC+1, michelle campbell wrote:
replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:
ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap it ?xx

£100 a ton, according to this
http://scrapmetalreaders.co.uk/scrap-metal-prices/

Owain

Andy Burns[_13_] September 19th 17 10:05 PM

wrote:

michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ?

£100 a ton

Half-round cast iron guttering seems to fetch £5/foot in salvage yards,
maybe try it on gumtree?

Martin Brown[_2_] September 20th 17 07:59 AM

On 19/09/2017 21:44, michelle campbell wrote:
replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight a
ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or scrap
it ?xx

Is it in good condition?

Then it may have resale value for restoration of Grade 2 or higher
listed buildings if you can find the right sort of reclaimation yard to
sell it to (for better that scrap metal value). If it is being replaced
because it has rusted through then it is basically just scrap iron. --
Regards,
Martin Brown

alan_m September 20th 17 10:21 AM

On 20/09/2017 07:59, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/09/2017 21:44, michelle campbell wrote:
replying to Dave Baker, michelle campbell wrote:

ive got 4 long peices the same ,iron guttering off an old house weight
a ton
,and would love to know if its worth selling but for how much ? or
scrap it ?xx

Is it in good condition?

Then it may have resale value for restoration of Grade 2 or higher
listed buildings if you can find the right sort of reclaimation yard to
sell it to (for better that scrap metal value). If it is being replaced
because it has rusted through then it is basically just scrap iron. --

Judging from what I've seen on some TV programs the reclaimation yard
may sell it expensively but buy it in for little more than scrap value.