David

Default Workbench recommendations please

Yes, after 25-odd years of a trusty B&D Workmate I've finally got the
space and opportunity to get myself a 'proper' workbench.
Multipurpose D-I-Y but primarily for woodwork I hope. Can anybody
recommend an off-the-shelf one which won't break the bank? I almost
hesitate to ask, but has anyone got the 'Ferm'-branded one from
Screwfix (ref 18684) at 82 quid?

Should I be making my own? Is there any second-hand market for
benches (I never see them advertised anywhere).

Thanks
David
Andy Dingley

On 24 Sep 2003 15:00:11 -0700, (David)
wrote:

Yes, after 25-odd years of a trusty B&D Workmate I've finally got the
space and opportunity to get myself a 'proper' workbench.

What's a "proper" workbench ? What are you going to do on it ? Can you
dedicate it to just woodworking, or will you need to use it for other
things too ? What's "woodworking" ? Are you going to do a lot of
planing, or is a router worktop ?

My bench is deliberately small, but it's not the only bench / tabletop
in the workshop. So I used Tage Frid's "dedicated clamping machine"
design, I use trestles for sawing, and another tabletop for assembly
work.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/bench.htm

Of course, I've started to hate things about this bench before I've
even finished it. The shoulder vice with the big screw and the wobbly
plate jaw is great for holding a drawer, but useless for holding
anything less than 2" deep. And I should have used pairs of bolts to
bolt the demountable rails to the rigid leg frames from the start,
rather than having to retro-fit them in situ to stop it wobbling.
OTOH, clamping between the row of dog holes and the tail vice is
wonderful.

Improvements over my last bench are that the top is 2" thick oak right
the way across, and the front apron is no more than 4" deep and 2"
thick. This lets me use G clamps either vertically or horizontally.

The back rail, behind the tool tray, is 1" thick oak and level with
the top - so I can also use it as a clamping support, as if the tool
tray wasn't there. Removable end ramps in the tray allow shavings to
be swept out and also allow clamps to be used vertically onto the back
of the top.

Multipurpose D-I-Y but primarily for woodwork I hope. Can anybody
recommend an off-the-shelf one which won't break the bank?

How big is the bank ? Could you afford a maple top and build your own
frame ? Do Axminster still have any of their (very nice) Rhodesian
ones on clearance ?

but has anyone got the 'Ferm'-branded one from
Screwfix (ref 18684) at 82 quid?

Wouldn't touch it, IMHO.

It looks like a woodworking bench. But the vice is rubbish, the legs
are flimsy, there's no planing stop and (worst of all) there's no
bracing against sideways forces.

A woodworking bench isn't the best design as a general benchtop. And
this is rubbish as a joiner's bench.

Should I be making my own?

You may need a bench to make the first one !

A double lamination of 3/4" ply, with a replacable 4mm MDF top is a
good start. Frame it with 2" square hardwood legs, or bolted softwood
2x4s for speed
http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/furnitur/bench.htm
Not the best design for hand benchwork, especially heavy planing, but
it's a good start for powertool woodworking

There's also Taunton press's ubiquitous "The Workbench Book"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...700/codesmiths

Is there any second-hand market for
benches (I never see them advertised anywhere).

Huge S/H market. Not much advertising.

--
Smert' spamionam
Benjamin Aldred

"David" wrote in message
om...
Yes, after 25-odd years of a trusty B&D Workmate I've finally got the
space and opportunity to get myself a 'proper' workbench.
Multipurpose D-I-Y but primarily for woodwork I hope. Can anybody
recommend an off-the-shelf one which won't break the bank? I almost
hesitate to ask, but has anyone got the 'Ferm'-branded one from
Screwfix (ref 18684) at 82 quid?

Should I be making my own? Is there any second-hand market for
benches (I never see them advertised anywhere).

Thanks
David

Make your own. Tailor made to suit the space. You can't beat the
satisfaction of doing it yourself. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com