Simon Avery

Default Workbench recommendations please

(David) wrote:

Hello David

D| Yes, after 25-odd years of a trusty B&D Workmate I've
D| finally got the space and opportunity to get myself a
D| 'proper' workbench. Multipurpose D-I-Y but primarily for
D| woodwork I hope. Can anybody recommend an off-the-shelf one
D| which won't break the bank? I almost hesitate to ask, but
D| has anyone got the 'Ferm'-branded one from Screwfix (ref
D| 18684) at 82 quid?
D| Should I be making my own? Is there any second-hand market
D| for benches (I never see them advertised anywhere).

Depends what you want of it.

I made mine, but then my demands are fairly simple. A very strong flat
surface with a medium metalwork vice attached.

The best chippie I've worked alongside made his own set of benches and
use sash cramps for large work so no need for fancy bench cramps.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: