Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas fire & boiler servicing

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:00:35 -0700, Grouchy.Oldgit wrote:

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

Find out who your neighbours use and how happy or otherwise they are.
Avoid yellow pages and national companies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:00:35 -0700, Grouchy.Oldgit wrote:

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

Find out who your neighbours use and how happy or otherwise they are.
Avoid yellow pages and national companies.

I e-mailed a boiler manufacturer (who made a point of mentioning their
service engineer training courses) for a local list of trained people. It
was hopelessly obsolete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

It depends.

A gas fire is normally an open device which if faulty can emit poisonous
fumes into the room. So an annual check makes sense.

Most boilers these days can't do this as they are room sealed. If you have
an old one which isn't - like a back boiler - it will be due for updating
anyway but should be checked every year too.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
geoff wrote:
if you really don't know anyone, phone up your local authority and
ask who they use
they might not be the best around, but at least they should be OK

They may do it in-house,

Not so likely

and from my experience I wouldn't have their plumbers / gasfitters in
my house to change a washer again.

If you have a better suggestion, post it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
geoff wrote:
and from my experience I wouldn't have their plumbers / gasfitters
in my house to change a washer again.

If you have a better suggestion, post it

I can recommend a very good gasfitter but that wouldn't be much use for
anyone not in the locality.

So that would be a "no" then ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:38:41 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message . com,
writes
How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

normally annually

if you really don't know anyone, phone up your local authority and ask
who they use

they might not be the best around, but at least they should be OK

I work for a local authority, not on the building side though.

All work is tendered for, lowest price that meets the specification
wins

When I say all work it is not individual. We may tender for a
framework agreement for three years, along the lines of

CORGI approved, shouldn't they all be, gas fitters / contractors to
service and maintain gas appliances in council houses

We would appoint three possible suppliers

Cheapest is not always best

Gas Fire Servicing TheScullster UK diy 3 June 1st 06 09:32 PM
Boiler servicing marcb UK diy 0 August 10th 05 08:52 PM
Boiler servicing again - but this time oil EN UK diy 8 July 8th 05 01:19 PM
Boiler servicing mr-vampy UK diy 5 May 29th 05 09:59 AM
DIY boiler servicing peak man UK diy 17 April 16th 04 09:53 AM