EN

Default Boiler servicing again - but this time oil

I've become very concerned by the discussion below about servicing gas
boilers and landlords. Can anyone advise about oil boilers and how often
they should be serviced? By whom? And landlords responsibilities? I can
only seem to find out about gas appliances, the rules don't mention oil.
Presumably because they're not dangerous? Or some other reason?

My house is rented and the boiler was serviced three and a half years ago.
when he arranged it the landlord said it was my responsibility thereafter.
I need to get this done now I expect. Beside the boiler what other aspects
of heating should be checked out? Pump? timer? Thermostat? Or would that
all be part of a general service.

Any thoughts gratefully received. thanks
Liz

John

"EN" wrote in message
I've become very concerned by the discussion below about servicing gas
boilers and landlords. Can anyone advise about oil boilers

Yes

and how often
they should be serviced? By whom? And landlords responsibilities? I can
only seem to find out about gas appliances, the rules don't mention oil.
Presumably because they're not dangerous? Or some other reason?

Oil boilers do need regular servicing mostly because oil has an ash and
sulphur content which after combustion deposits on the surfaces of the heat
exchanger. A thin coating of such forms an insulating barrier which results
in expensive heat being ejected from the flue rather than absorbed into the
waterways. Also pertinent is the deposit of fluff etc on the combustion fan
blades and within the air intake ports. Sufficient of this means the
air/fuel ratio varies leading to soot formation. Fortunately it is pretty
difficult to make a pressure jet boiler produce Carbon Monoxide in any
serious quantity but soot is dirty and blocks the flueways as well as acting
as an even better insulator blocking heat transfer even more.

My house is rented and the boiler was serviced three and a half years ago.
when he arranged it the landlord said it was my responsibility thereafter.

Unlike gas appliances there isn't any legally specified interval or
obligation on the landlord so he was able to formally pass the buck to you
on this duty.

I need to get this done now I expect. Beside the boiler what other
aspects of heating should be checked out? Pump? timer? Thermostat? Or
would that all be part of a general service.

Its usually advised that oil boilers should be serviced annually. I know of
people who don't do this but when the unit does fail its a double or treble
sized job to get the thing back into good order again. Not to mention your
additional running costs due to heat not being fully utilised.

Any thoughts gratefully received. thanks
Liz

Depending where you are geographically oil service engineers may be thin on
the ground. The major oil companies often have personnel available but its
best to keep in mind that the people who sell you oil aren't neccessarily
the best ones to keep your usage down g.
If you are in the Hull/East Riding area maybe I can help?

Gel

No not as strict as gas; see http://www.oftec.co.uk/

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
EN wrote:
I've become very concerned by the discussion below about servicing gas
boilers and landlords. Can anyone advise about oil boilers and how
often they should be serviced? By whom? And landlords
responsibilities? I can only seem to find out about gas appliances,
the rules don't mention oil. Presumably because they're not dangerous?
Or some other reason?

Dunno. Natural gas is a very clean burning fuel so doesn't leave much in
the way of deposits on the heat exchanger, etc. Town gas was a different
matter - hence the need for an annual clean. Oil, I'd say, falls between
the two. If in doubt consult the maker of the boiler.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
EN wrote:
I've become very concerned by the discussion below about servicing gas
boilers and landlords. Can anyone advise about oil boilers and how
often they should be serviced? By whom? And landlords
responsibilities? I can only seem to find out about gas appliances,
the rules don't mention oil. Presumably because they're not dangerous?
Or some other reason?

Dunno. Natural gas is a very clean
burning fuel

Compared to oil.

so doesn't leave much in
the way of deposits on the heat
exchanger, etc.

Doesn't it?

snip misinformation

Dave Baker

EN wrote in message
I've become very concerned by the discussion below about servicing gas
boilers and landlords.

Any thoughts gratefully received. thanks
Liz

I don't think there are any regulations in force yet as to how often
landlords need servicing. No doubt you can work this sort of thing out on an
informal basis though.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Dunno. Natural gas is a very clean
burning fuel

Compared to oil.

And you've snipped the other useful information. Are you actually brain
dead?

so doesn't leave much in
the way of deposits on the heat
exchanger, etc.

Doesn't it?

No. I'd suggest you look for yourself once rather than relying on adverts.

I'm continually amazed that you call yourself a pro when you have zero
practical experience.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
Dunno. Natural gas is a very clean
burning fuel

Compared to oil.

And you've snipped the other useful information.

It wasn't useful at all, that is why I snipped it.

so doesn't leave much in
the way of deposits on the heat
exchanger, etc.

Doesn't it?

No.

snip senile made up babble

Peter Scott

"EN" wrote in message
I've become very concerned by the discussion below about servicing gas
boilers and landlords. Can anyone advise about oil boilers and how often
they should be serviced? By whom? And landlords responsibilities? I can
only seem to find out about gas appliances, the rules don't mention oil.
Presumably because they're not dangerous? Or some other reason?

My house is rented and the boiler was serviced three and a half years ago.
when he arranged it the landlord said it was my responsibility thereafter.
I need to get this done now I expect. Beside the boiler what other

aspects
of heating should be checked out? Pump? timer? Thermostat? Or would

that
all be part of a general service.

Any thoughts gratefully received. thanks
Liz

Annual. Clean out fluff, clean the photo-eye that checks for flame, replace
the jets, peer inside and brush/vacuum black deposits. You can do it
yourself. Try to get the manual from the makers. If you don't feel
confident then best get someone to do it. Are you sure your landlord
would approve of you doing it?

One sign of poor burning is a smell of unburned oil outside. Of course you
might not be able to get near enough to the chimney. Rough sounds of
burning or a very loud thump on ignition can also show blocked jets.

Peter Scott

Steam Bending Lumber - Any Good Sites Big John Woodworking 2 December 26th 04 06:30 PM
DIY boiler servicing peak man UK diy 17 April 16th 04 09:53 AM
Boiler kettling? David Hearn UK diy 5 January 1st 04 07:47 PM
New boiler operation/settings John UK diy 3 October 27th 03 10:57 PM