DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gas fire & boiler servicing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/214998-gas-fire-boiler-servicing.html)

[email protected] September 19th 07 05:00 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

Stuart B September 19th 07 05:07 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:00:35 -0700,
wrote:

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

afaiu once a year is the norm .I'd think just before winter sets in
would be the best time .

Ed Sirett September 19th 07 06:45 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:00:35 -0700, Grouchy.Oldgit wrote:

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

Find out who your neighbours use and how happy or otherwise they are.
Avoid yellow pages and national companies.

John September 19th 07 09:34 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:00:35 -0700, Grouchy.Oldgit wrote:

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

Find out who your neighbours use and how happy or otherwise they are.
Avoid yellow pages and national companies.

I e-mailed a boiler manufacturer (who made a point of mentioning their
service engineer training courses) for a local list of trained people. It
was hopelessly obsolete.

geoff September 19th 07 10:38 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

In message . com,
writes
How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

normally annually

if you really don't know anyone, phone up your local authority and ask
who they use

they might not be the best around, but at least they should be OK

--
geoff

Mogga September 20th 07 07:50 AM

gas fire & boiler servicing

wrote:

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

You could try ringing your local trading standards and asking them if
they have a list.
I've been told that our local TS is waiting til they have at least 5
in each category before they'll publish the list online though.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Dave Plowman (News) September 20th 07 08:48 AM

gas fire & boiler servicing

In article . com,
wrote:
How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

It depends.

A gas fire is normally an open device which if faulty can emit poisonous
fumes into the room. So an annual check makes sense.

Most boilers these days can't do this as they are room sealed. If you have
an old one which isn't - like a back boiler - it will be due for updating
anyway but should be checked every year too.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

geoff September 20th 07 07:56 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

In message , Owain
writes
geoff wrote:
if you really don't know anyone, phone up your local authority and
ask who they use
they might not be the best around, but at least they should be OK

They may do it in-house,

Not so likely

and from my experience I wouldn't have their plumbers / gasfitters in
my house to change a washer again.

If you have a better suggestion, post it

--
geoff

geoff September 20th 07 10:41 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

In message , Owain
writes
geoff wrote:
and from my experience I wouldn't have their plumbers / gasfitters
in my house to change a washer again.

If you have a better suggestion, post it

I can recommend a very good gasfitter but that wouldn't be much use for
anyone not in the locality.

So that would be a "no" then ...

--
geoff

Steve Walford September 22nd 07 08:01 PM

gas fire & boiler servicing

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:38:41 GMT, geoff wrote:

In message . com,
writes
How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of
finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the
telephone directory?

normally annually

if you really don't know anyone, phone up your local authority and ask
who they use

they might not be the best around, but at least they should be OK

I work for a local authority, not on the building side though.

All work is tendered for, lowest price that meets the specification
wins

When I say all work it is not individual. We may tender for a
framework agreement for three years, along the lines of

CORGI approved, shouldn't they all be, gas fitters / contractors to
service and maintain gas appliances in council houses

We would appoint three possible suppliers

Cheapest is not always best